Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Lower dose oestrogen patch  (Read 700 times)

Glitterface

Lower dose oestrogen patch
« on: August 07, 2019, 04:21:52 PM »

Due to the shortage of certain types of HRT patches i could no longer get my regular elleste solo which i have been using successfully for 2 years (with mirena coil). I have been given estradot patches instead which seem to be fine for the last couple of months until today when i have been trying to ignore a period type tummy ache and to find that i am now bleeding ever so slightly.

I thought maybe it was down to the dosage  but  i thought they were very similar. on looking closely the elleste patches were 40ug (?) containing 1.25 mg estradoil.
The estradots (and the patches really are dots!) are 37.5mg so pretty similar i thought.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Do i need to go stronger?

thanks
Clare

Hurdity

Re: Lower dose oestrogen patch
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 07:28:00 AM »

Hi Glitterface

There are often blips that occur when you change dose and HRT type. Also the bleeding may be coincidental depending where you are in menopause. Because you have the Mirena coil you don't have the normal bleeding from periods - and the sometimes heavy bleeding during peri-menopause - so if you are peri-menopausal it could just be your cycle. 37.5 mcg is a low dose but again if you are peri-menopausal this may well keep your symptoms manageable. If you are post-meno I would suggest maybe you need a higher dose oestrogen as too much progesterone can also cause spotting/bleeding if the endometrium becomes overthinned. If you are worried then do consult your doctor.

Hurdity x