Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hrt advice  (Read 734 times)

VikkiB73

• First Flush
Hrt advice
« on: August 07, 2019, 02:36:48 PM »

Hi ,I had a complete hysterectomy in November 2018 and gave struggled majorly since .Ive found it's the hrt making me feel mentally worse with the deepest depression and suicidal thoughts .My dr said it couldn't be the hrt and thought I was generally depressed so prescribed anti depressants but they didn't work so I stole the hrt for a few days and suddenly the suicidal thoughts went and I feel much better mentally but now I'm unsure what to do .I dropped my dose as I'm on Evorel patches so went from 150-100 but know I felt terrible on this patch before and all the other doses I tried but I'm scared to not have hrt as I felt physically awful after surgery with heart palpitations and anxiety which the patches helped but have made me feel mentally very unwell .Has anyone else found hrt has made them feel worse ? I'm not sure anything natural could help deal with awful menopause symptoms but I think I might have to stop the hrt .Any advice would be greatly appreciated  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hrt advice
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 02:51:37 PM »

Did the Consultant not discuss what you might require prior to surgical intervention?

HORMONES  >:( .......  Wonder what does the GP tell worman with post natal depression  :-\

Maybe put the product name/s into the search box on here and make notes.  This may be cyclical, many don't do well with the progesterone part of HRT. 

VikkiB73

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »

I can't tolerate progesterone but thought I'd be ok with estrogen but since taking hrt it's made me so poorly .Nobody discussed a thing with me before my op ,I'm worried how I'll cope without hrt

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 03:25:03 PM »

Hi VikkiB73

Sorry to hear your woes.

Did you keep your ovaries when you had the hysterectomy and also where were you in menopause at the time ie was your cycle regular or were you menopausal (without periods for 12 months) or somewhere inbetween? It does sound from what you say as if you also had ovaries removed at the same time as your total hysterectomy?

Not sure what you meant by you stole the HRT? However if you had your ovaries removed too then this is  very drastic and your body will take some while to recover from this - which would be surgical menopause. There are other women in this position if you are the same? If you are in surgical menopause you may also benefit from testosterone. it is not likely to be the oestrogen making you feel so ill, but the hormonal shock,  and in the first instance anti-depressants should not be prescribed unless you a danger to yourself and cannot cope?

Depending on your age and whether you had ovaries removed if you are under the natural age of menopause of 51/52 then you are advised to continue with oestrogen.

Please ask to be referred to a menopause clinic - a menopause doctor and if necessary in your position blood tests would help determine whether you are absorbing oestrogen or not.

You are still only 8 months after your operation so you are still in recovery and if no ovaries then also probably in shock too.

Do keep posting and hopefully you will get help and support from others going through the same.

Hurdity x

VikkiB73

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 06:24:03 PM »

I had my ovaries removed too but have just never felt well on hrt , it's mentally made me feel a lot worse .I knew I couldn't tolerate progesterone but it looks like estrogen is also a problem for me too .Im 45 and really want to stop taking hrt but not sure if I'll cope without it to ,such a difficult dilemma