Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi...new member  (Read 901 times)

KerryMac

• First Flush
Hi...new member
« on: August 08, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »

Been peri menopausal for a while now.....I think!
My periods have always been a non issue - regular as clockwork, not very heavy and lasting 2-3 days.
About 4 years ago they became really heavy - soaking through tampon and pad heavy - but fortunately still only a few days. Then they got slightly closer together and lots more cramping and boob pain than usual. About 6 months ago they became much lighter again and a bit more erratic, sometimes 3 weeks between, sometimes 4 and more recently 6. I've stopped getting pain and discharge around ovulation, which was quite normal for me.
Other symptoms which I'm sure are related are -
- very poor sleep - I go to bed late, otherwise I lie for hours not able to sleep, then I wake up frequently, tossing and turning, with really bad twitchy legs, finally getting through the night and feel exhausted in the morning (any advice here would be greatly appreciated!)
- I seem to have developed hay fever, which I've never suffered with before. This year has been particularly bad.
- I get very hot feet in the evenings, which is really weird, no hot flushes elsewhere.
- I am soooo forgetful - used to be really good at names, now I can't remember any! I forget everything! So much so that I worry about dementia.
I'm sure there's some symptoms I've forgotten and loads more to come!
Oops, forgot to say, I'm 49, haven't discussed it with my doc yet - really want to get through without HRT if at all possible  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi...new member
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »

Lots want to go through without HRT  ::) .........

:welcomemm:  some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary is useful.  Browse round.  Make notes.

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out - nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, vagina  :o and the muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Leg symptoms may be cured by eating lots of bananas : 2/3 small ones daily.

Jari

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:08:33 PM »

Welcome Kerry. I'm 49 too and not taking hrt either.

Have had symptoms in phases... hot flushes were worst around when periods stopped 2 years ago. They've become less intense and less frequent now..

Good diet, good supplements and regular exercise really helps. These all combined balance hormones.. x

KerryMac

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 12:14:10 PM »

Thanks ladies.
Just been shopping and bought some multivitamins specifically for menopause.
Have noticed recently that my nails are much drier than normal, despite using lots of hand cream.
I didn't know that about bananas CLKD. I've suffered from restless legs for years, but it's become worse with the lack of sleep 😕 I'll definitely give it a try, thanks.

KerryMac

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 12:30:46 PM »

Hi Birdy
I'm not stressed at all at the minute, although I went through a stressful time at work about 6 months ago, which didn't help with the sleeping.
I've never been a great sleeper - I go to bed late, I waken at the slightest noise and then struggle to get up, but I wouldn't say I'm stressed about it. I've just gotten used to it I suppose. But I have been pretty tired in the day lately. I work in a school so it's not a problem at the minute with being on summer holidays, but I really need to get into a better routine before we do back.
I've always been a bit anemic, but not bad enough for the doctor to worry. I'll try magnesium and see if that helps. Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 02:42:46 PM »

4 me  2  small bananas every day for 5 years cured my restless legs.  I found out by chance when I was advised by NAPS to eat every 3 hours and to have safe foods to nibble in the day including bananas.  Within 5 nights the restless legs had gone  :-* I was so surprised.  Within 24 hours if I have problems now I eat 2 bananas and take 1 Nurofen, job done ;-).

At this time of year if bananas become mealy I go off 'em  :-\ ......... they have to be 'right' if that makes sense.  ::) Not that I'm fussy  :whist: