Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Low Mood  (Read 1152 times)

Ally42

• First Flush
Low Mood
« on: August 04, 2019, 10:34:44 PM »

I am new to this menopause forum and I am finding the posts really useful.  I started with the menopause when I was 40. I had all the usual symptoms, but low mood, anxiety, irritability and hot flushes were especially hard to manage. I didn't realise it was the menopause, as I had a close family bereavement and put the low mood, anxiety etc down to the way I was feeling, it was only when I told my sister my symptoms she suggested I see my GP. I did, had the usual blood tests and was told I was post menopausal. I was so shocked I left without asking any questions, the GP didn't give me any further advice and I struggled along. I am now 45, and during the last 5 years I have been prescribed AD but nothing else. During this time I have left the job I loved, because I feel I can't cope with any kind of pressure, I have isolated myself from friends and family, I've gained 5 stone, and lack any motivation to do anything about it. I spend a lot of time with my mum since losing dad, but I'm constantly snapping at her as I feel irritable all of the time. I'm single and have been for around 7 years. I feel hopeless, sad and alone, and at the same time angry with myself for being the victim. My GP has prescribed Kliovance (I attended CBT and my wonderful therapist told me to see GP about HRT and DONT LEAVE THE SURGERY WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION capitals intended). I have been taking this around 5 weeks, but tbh I feel worse than I did before. Any advice is welcome......It's hard to explain how I feel to friends/family, they don't seem to understand the hell of these menopausal symptoms. Ally x

Lanzalover

Re: Low Mood
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 05:39:21 AM »

Good morning  Ally42

:welcomemm:

So sorry to read to read you are having a hard time you should have been offered HRT by your GP due to your early meno.
The progesterone part of Kliovance is Norethisterone and lots of women  don't get on with it as it one of the harsher progesterone plus many women can't get on with continuous progesterone so although post meno opt to take HRT on a cycle but this does mean you would have a withdrawal bleed.
Also Kliovance is a low dose and you may need a higher dose.

If I was you I would go back to your GP and discuss your various options (ask any questions on here before you go so you have all the info you need )and if necessary push for a referral to a menopause clinic.
Unfortunately HRT isn't a one size fits all so can take a while before you find one of the many options available which helps but you will get there in the end and with the correct help.

Hope the above makes sense as I'm in a rush at the moment trying to get ready for work.
Good Luck and do let us know how you get on

Lanzalover x

Hurdity

Re: Low Mood
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 06:38:28 PM »

Hi Ally42

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about how you feel but you've taken the first steps towards feeling and getting better - so well done!

You've seen a therapist, been to the doctor, got some HRT and joined this forum! The only way is up - we are here to help and support you.

First - I agree with the others. Kliovance is probably not the right HRT for you and best to start off with a cyclical HRT at least at first until you know whether you like it or not? How long since your last period? You are likely to need a higher oestrogen dose to help[ protect your heart and bones.

By the way your doc cannot diagnose that your are post-menopausal from blood tests as they go into the post-meno range while peri - but the tests would have said you were in peri-menopause if your cycle had gone awry, and so you should have been given HRT as soon as your periods became few and far between. You should not have been given anti-depressants at all if your symptoms were due to hormonal distrubances of menopause, and hopefully you can wean off them once settled on HRT, although due to your circumstances and bereavement you might feel you need to stay on them at least for a while.

You mention your weight - yes 5 stone is a lot to gain, and I can understand it seems daunting to start to reduce. Firstly though, have you had other blood tests as weight gain can sometimes be due to underactive thyroid which some women experience around menopause? Other symptoms would include feeling very tired, and feeling the cold. Maybe you feel the weight gain is due to eating too much of the wrong foods and lack of exercise - but if not please do get that thyroid checked out. Once you have ruled out any such problems here (thyroid) then make a plan for yourself to start a new healthy lifestyle if you can. Depending on your diet etc losing weight and getting fitter and out in the fresh air will give you a lift and will also lessen the impact of some menopausal symptoms as well as protecting your future health. Little by little is the best way to lose weight - 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy rate - and you will be lighter in no time. Hair? Clothes? Do something to give yourself a boost!

if you want help and support and to chat while you are doing this or help to make a plan then start a thread and there will always be members to join in. Also there are plenty of general chit chat threads where members have a laugh - you'll soon get to know the regulars and will be welcomed! There are found in the "This and That" section.

Good luck and hope you manage to find an HRT that suits you! Keep us posted.... :)

Hurdity x