Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem and cream only part way up?  (Read 1162 times)

Whatsupwiththis

Vagifem and cream only part way up?
« on: August 08, 2019, 05:19:55 PM »

Ok more confusion.  Dr. John Eden of Australia published a paper this year that said Vagifem should only be inserted no more than 4 cms and never use cream applicator but use dab on pinky finger.  My GP also said the same thing.  Oh boy....

suzysunday

Re: Vagifem and cream only part way up?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 05:31:38 PM »

What do you mean by cream applicator, is that the one that comes with the vagifem pessary in it?  What's wrong with an applicator.   Worried and confused again!

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 05:36:05 PM »

Hi SuzySunday...if using Vagifem then only put the pessary into lower part of vagina.  If using creams such as Ovestin that comes with applicator, he says to not use applicator but dab on finger instead.  Hope this makes sense.  You can also google Dr. John Eden.  It was on another site.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 05:42:55 PM »

Paper is "Vaginal Atrophy And Sexual Function" by Dr. John Eden.

suzysunday

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 05:43:27 PM »

I don't fancy the finger technique.  My GP said to insert high up.  I have heard of this before and it worries the hell out of me.

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 05:52:30 PM »

If I applied ovestin as it describes in the paper, I think very little of the cream would go in my vaginal. It would be smeared down  my finger and round  the outside of my vaginal.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 05:55:05 PM »

When you read the paper it does make perfect sense.  As with everything, if it works, great and if not well back to the old method.

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 06:05:01 PM »

Thanks birdy.  I worry so much about this since I had post meno bleeding.   As you say, it absorbs and spreads anyway.

Tc

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 07:37:45 PM »

I remember having a  bit of a mini freakout a few months ago and I started a thread called "have I been doing it wrong".

I think the general concencous of opinion then was as now. If it's working for you, dont change it. If it's not, then experiment a bit lower or higher.
Please dont stress. I did the same thing. When I read something about it.
If it ain't broke dont fix it!!

With the cream . If you are using it externally and just in/around the entrance a finger is fine. I use it as well as vagifem, at the same time. But I use an applicator if I'm inserting it inside instead of vagifem. 

The ovestin has helped dryness a lot, I'm not so sure about the vagifem,and dryness.  although my womens health physio has encouraged me to stick with it for bladder.

Best wishes. X