Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi, I’m the new girl. ;o)  (Read 1506 times)

sprocket

• Shoot from the hip!
Hi, I’m the new girl. ;o)
« on: August 09, 2019, 08:02:53 PM »

Well hello there!
I'm new to the forum. I came to find better info, help and understanding around VA.
I'm unfortunate in the sense that this isnt my first BBQ.
I had breast cancer at 32 and went through menopause due to treatments at the time. Now 16yrs later age 48 Im back into peri menopause again but its worse second time around.
My VA got so bad this time that I forced myself to request Ovestin even tho its not the best idea for me with a history of breast cancer.
Ive been using it for almost 3wks now every night and I can honestly say Im not noticing the benefits that others are talking about.
Im using YES VM during the day. Looking for what others have tried in similar circumstances to my own.
Much appreciated.
x
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:08:19 PM by sprocket »

Wrensong

Re: Hi, I’m the new girl. ;o)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »

Hi Sprocket,  :welcomemm:

Topical HRT preparations such as Ovestin are usually considered to pose little risk to women with a past history of breast cancer, as they are relatively low dose to start with & after the initial few weeks very little is absorbed systemically.  You may need to give the cream much longer than 3 weeks to begin to see results though, so please don't give up hope.

Maybe have a look at the thread called the Burning Club & search for MaryJane's excellent posts on VA.

You will get lots of good advice & support here & I'm sure other ladies will be along soon.  Keep posting!

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:18:19 PM »

Hi Sprocket. Good advice from Wrensong. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 09:59:09 AM »

Hi Sprocket and welcome to the forum. Hopefully you will see some improvement soon, but might I suggest you stop the YES VM for a few days to see if it's better, I find the VM irritates and a few others have posted the same.

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 10:03:35 AM »

Great advice Dierdre - I had to chuck mine out - really made symptoms worse.  But we are all different & some women have found it helpful.
Wx

Tc

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 02:22:12 PM »

Welcome sprocket. Great name xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 02:57:11 PM »

My friend has a terrier called Sprocket -  ::)

One has to consider quality of life! so 'ovestin' etc. is fine.  My GP never queried whether I should use it when VA symptoms took over, 4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o.  Important is to use the 'ovestin' for 2 weeks every night then as necessary.  Usually it's twice a week after with a few nights between, some ladies require it nightly.  When symptoms niggle for me I also take 'nurofen'.

I had breast surgery and treatment in the middle 1990s.  My Oncologist muttered 'no HRT for you' but my scenario is that the bus might creep up behind and run me over long B4 Brest disase returns!!!

So try not to worry too much.  Getting comfy is important!

Jari

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 03:18:52 PM »

Welcome sprocket! I’m not taking hrt for BC family history reasons.

I’m assuming you’re having a good diet, exercise etc?

On top of that, if you don’t want hrt you could take good supplements. A good multi vitamin as a basic, but on top of that, a good vit c of magnesium ascorbate, not acid.. it’s good for the manufacture of collagen.
Omega 3 dha and epa. This will help control inflammation and lubricate the body from inside out and also a probiotic. Aim for one with 22 billion organisms. That will give good levels of beneficial bacteria in the digestive system, which will help against vaginal/ urinary infections,. X
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:38:09 PM by Jari »

sprocket

• Shoot from the hip!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 05:02:23 PM »

Thankyou girls,
Some good tips there, thankyou. I honestly dont think I could manage without the YES VM on a daily basis so I will have to keep it handy. In the early days I was only using it pre-sex and during and not using it any other time. Man, did I suffer.
Interested in the Q 10/magnesium supplements so will look into that further.
Completely agree with the take on using vaginal HRT if you really do need it despite a history of breast cancer. Life is for living right now, and if the discomfort and upset caused by VA can be reduced by the likes of Ovestin, then go for it. So little is absorbed into the blood stream when administered vaginally. It is an option that needs to be weighed up individually. Like you say, we could get run over by the No 46 long before breast cancer returns-if it ever does, and theres a lot of living and loving to be done inbetween.

Thankyou girls. X