Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: HRT national shortage  (Read 4688 times)

Perinowpost

HRT national shortage
« on: July 26, 2019, 04:37:37 PM »

Just spoke with Pharmacy2U and they told me there was a national shortage of all HRT. Something to do with the manufacturers, and they couldn't say when it will be resolved!

Taz2

Re: HRT national shortage
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 05:04:32 PM »

The BMS have posted about this. Google British Menopause Society HRT shortage. Quite a few of us have had problems getting our HRT for some time now.  :'(

Taz x

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 05:06:47 PM »

Just spoke with Pharmacy2U and they told me there was a national shortage of all HRT. Something to do with the manufacturers, and they couldn't say when it will be resolved!
I thought that the manufacturer problem only applied to Femseven. A Boots branch told me that the problem with Evorel  conti was to do with the middleman restricting supplies to pharmacies. I don't know regarding other types.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 05:19:07 PM »

So the manufactures sell down the line - it shouldn't happen, end of!

Tc

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »

I asked 2 different pharmacists last week about femseven sequi. One said they thought it was coming back "in dribs and drabs" but the other said "definitely still out of manufacture and not available". I'm more inclined to believe the latter as the "dribs a d drabs" theory seems a bit implausible to me.

I think from reading on here  the problems recently seem to be mainly with patches. I might be wrong but there doesnt seem to be an  issue with gel.

I'm on estradot 100's. They always have to be ordered in but seems o.k at moment.

Xx

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 07:06:41 PM »

Hi ladies. Tried to get my estraderm patches today to be told that they've no supply. Apparently the manufacturer didn't pass some sort of inspection and was closed down pending improvements ( as per my pharmacy) Doesn't just affect HRT but other drugs they manufacture.
I've got a few weeks worth left of various patches that I can adapt but I was quite upset. Apparently there are no alternatives. I don't get on with Oestrogel and I am absolutely intolerant to synthetic progesterone ( struggle with Utrogestan tbh but it's the best for me ) so any sort of combined patch is out of the question.
We go on holiday in September and I dread to think what a state I might be in if this supply issue isn't sorted.
Any recommendations/ suggestions. I'm crying just at the thought of not being able to manage after years of trying to stabilise my situation
 :o

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 07:07:42 PM »

Go back to the Pharmacist and discuss? Is your Surgery aware?

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 08:30:05 PM »

Not a lot the pharmacist can do. And the surgery is useless useless useless. Banging my head off a wall... :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 09:06:19 PM »

Hi Michele, can the pharmacy not get Evorel or Estradot for you as an alternative to Estraderm?  I have just gone back on HRT, currently using Estradot & have had no probs so far getting supplies of 2 strengths in that, though mine are very low dose.  If you get your GP to issue the script for (generic) Oestradiol in whatever strength you need, rather than branded Estraderm, the pharmacy might have a better chance of filling it for you.

Cazikins

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 12:01:10 AM »

Not a lot the pharmacist can do. And the surgery is useless useless useless. Banging my head off a wall... :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

MicheleMaBelle, why don't you print off a list of all the HRT treatments that are suitable alternatives (available on this website), take them to your pharmacy & ask them to confirm which ones are available, then take the list to your  surgery?. Ask the receptionist to show them to a GP & get a script issued.

I'm sure Doctors are willing to help us but sometimes they don't get the most up to date info from suppliers & pharmacies. By doing this small thing we could all help ourselves save time & a lot of anguish.

It's just a thought.
Cazikins x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 12:03:29 AM by Cazikins »

Perinowpost

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 08:04:40 AM »

I'm on evorel patches and Femoston and was informed they cannot get hold of either of them, but that also a lot of other HRT's are affected. Pharmacy2U did suggest trying local pharmacies to see if they have any x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 08:22:46 AM »

Many Surgeries are locked into Lloyds these days.

It's other drugs as well as HRT.  Until the Patents run out it limits the numbers of manufacturers than can make medications and many are packaged in India etc.. 

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »

I'm on evorel patches and Femoston and was informed they cannot get hold of either of them, but that also a lot of other HRT's are affected. Pharmacy2U did suggest trying local pharmacies to see if they have any x
I persuaded my practice to give me the prescription so I could try. I  managed to get 1 box of 16 Evorel Conti but not the usual 24. I have since asked  at 3 other pharmacies but no success so glad I took the 16.

Ladybt28

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »

MichelleMaBelle - I know this very radical and you really shouldn't have to even consider it  (desperate times though..) but I believe you can buy hrt over the counter in certain European countries - where are you going on holiday.  It might be an idea to buy some of the type you want if it is not too expensive if you are really desperate to continue with what you had.  The supply thing might sort itself out over time but at least it would see you over?  - just an idea?

Cazikins

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 12:09:08 PM »

Many Surgeries are locked into Lloyds these days.

That is not my experience CLKD.

GP surgeries will only send a prescription to the patients nominated pharmacy. If the patient does not nominate a pharmacy then the script stays at the surgery for the patient to collect.
Any patient can take their prescription to any pharmacy weather they have a nominated one or not.

I have not heard anything about surgeries being locked into Lloyds  :-\  I'd be very interested if you could find something relating to this.

Cazi x
Pages: [1] 2 3