Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 24 hour urine test for ovarian hormones UPDATE: Found one!  (Read 1974 times)

Sheanie

24 hour urine test for ovarian hormones UPDATE: Found one!
« on: July 25, 2019, 03:27:37 PM »

Hi,

I want to get my oestrogen levels checked and understand that blood tests aren't a great indicator as levels fluctuate so much. I've read that a 24 hour urine test is the most reliable method of testing. Does anyone know if this is available in the UK?

Also, what sort of level should I be looking for post menopause. I think I've read that there's an optimum level for maintaining BMD.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:40:58 AM by Sheanie »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 24 hour urine test for ovarian hormones
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »

Maybe ask a Pharmcacist or your GP  :-\.

Hormonal blood tests are reliably un-reliable ...........  ::)

Maybe keep a mood/symptom/food diary to chart progress, something concrete to take to your Practice Nruse/GP?

Sheanie

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »

Thanks, but I want my levels tested to be sure they are at an optimum level re BMD. 24 hr urine test is supposed to be reliable. I know you can get this in the States. Not sure Royal Mail allow international wee postage!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:08:49 PM by Sheanie »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:04:39 PM »

Where are you situated, more or less?

I wouldn't trust Royal Mail with a fart in a paper bag right now  >:(  :-X

BMD - remind me, it's hot here  :D

Sheanie

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »

BMD = Bone Mineral Density

I'll have to dig out the article I found on optimum levels of Oestrogen to maintain this.

I'm in South Yorkshire. Can you imagine filling in the customs declaration form.... ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:09:16 PM by Sheanie »

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 05:11:58 PM »

Optimum serum estradiol level is about 250 pmol/l. Don't know anything about urine tests though.

JP x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 05:18:46 PM »

In this heat too  :D

Jari

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 06:31:53 PM »

Sheanie, could you have a bone density scan if you're worried about your bone health?

Sheanie

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 07:18:42 AM »

Jari, I could have a DEXA scan. In fact, it is on my to do list. But that won't tell me if the level of oestrogen in my system is protecting me against loss of bone. You lose 1% BMD after menopause, so if you live till you're 100 (and many of our generation will), you'll only have half of it left! Coupled with the loss of muscle mass due to a lack of testosterone and the subsequent instability, that's a recipe for a broken hip and more.

My mother was taken off HRT at about 60 years old due to the apparent risks! She's 86 and has had two minor strokes. These and the muscle mass loss have made her very unsteady on her feet. I'm just waiting for the phone call to say she's fallen and broken something. I don't want to be her at her age! 

Jari

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 08:32:04 AM »

Hi Sheanie, I choose not to take hrt so I can't comment on that part.

To prevent and treat bone loss it's important to make sure your diet is much higher in alkaline than acid. The more acidic your diet, the more calcium you will lose to neutralise the acid. Eg cheese is one of the most acidic foods.

It's worth having a blood test to check your homocysteine levels. High levels would mean high risk of bone loss.

Also you could do your own ph urine test. You want your alkaline levels to be 6.5-7.5

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »

I think it's the loss of oestrogen that causes muscles to become lax ;-)

Mogster71

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 05:14:48 PM »

@Jari

Thanks for posting that about the alkaline diet - and how weird that one of things you're suggested to eat to improve calcium is doing the opposite!

Jari

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 07:56:27 PM »

Hi Mogster, yes I thought so too.
It's interesting that animal protein; so eating animals or by drinking their milk, gives the highest amount of acid.
The milk of animals and cheese etc does contain calcium, but however, too much phosphorus. Parmesan being the highest. Parmesan contains part of something from the calves stomach lining.
Phosphorous prevents the absorbion of calcium.
A diet too high in acid can also cause anxiety and other things. X

Sheanie

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 09:21:30 AM »

Thanks for posting the info about diet, Jari. I'm a well read, vigilant vegan, so my diet is already alkaline, and I get all the right nutrients. Becoming Vegan is my bible!

Re Oestrogen affecting muscle mass and strength, it may, but testosterone is essential for this. A lack of testosterone causes diminished libido, energy and stamina and leads to hair loss, flabbiness (of upper arms and cheeks) and muscular weakness (citing Happy Healthy Hormones).

Jari

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 09:48:59 AM »

Great you are vegan Sheanie.

I've been vegetarian for 20 years + but did still have butter and cheese sometimes.
Over the last year or two I've drastically reduced this. No longer have cows milk and instead almond/soy etc.

Every now and again, if out for dinner or something, I sometimes have a bit of cheese or something made with dairy, but at home, never any more.

I've ordered ph papers online as I'm interested to see my ph levels.

Keen to keep my bone health good. X
Pages: [1] 2