Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Asthma and HRT  (Read 1561 times)

Ginger50

Asthma and HRT
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:21:49 AM »

Hello,

This is my first post on the MM forum. I've had a bit of a search but couldn't find any topics relating directly  to my question so I hope that somebody might be able to advise me.

I have mild, well-controlled asthma and have had for about the last 10 years. I'm 51 now and started using HRT five weeks ago. I'm using a combination of Oestragel (one pump's worth once a day, used in the evening) and Medroxyprogesterone tablets. The main menopause symptom I was experiencing was hot flushes and they were stopping me from sleeping well. These stopped really quickly and for the first couple of weeks I felt great. I was sleeping well, no hot flushes and generally just felt more balanced and energised.

I'm quite fit, I run 3-4 times a week, workout at the gym with weights and do yoga and suddenly this all felt so much easier because I was sleeping better, so recovering better. However, about 3 weeks in I started to feel quite breathless, not just when running but just in general, such as walking to the station or sometimes just sitting. I just can't quite get a full breath. I'm really only ever aware of my asthma if I get a heavy cold and hardly ever have to use my Fostair inhaler more than the recommended dosage. I have regular check ups and my peak flow hasn't changed in the last ten years. I have tried using my Ventolin inhaler additionally during the day but it doesn't make any difference to my breathing.

I do notice that the shortness of breath improves slightly towards the end of the day, as if the effects of the Oestrogel are starting to wear off as I apply it before bed.

I know that lung function can possibly be affected by lower levels of oestrogen but I'm increasing my levels by using HRT so that makes no sense.

So my question is, are there any other women with asthma here who've noticed similar symptoms to mine and what have they done about it?

I'm due to see my GP for a review early September but I think I may have to go earlier as this is not feeling quite right to me.

Thanks in advance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Asthma and HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 03:48:06 PM »

Hi!  sorry you haven't had a reply.

I often feel short of breath if I have eaten too much then try to exercise too soon.

When I was having regular periods I would get short of breath prior to a bleed.  Never worked that out other than it might be water retention?  It would go once the period started until the next month: 2-3 days prior to the bleed.

My music teacher told me that few people actually breath properly and he encouraged singing as then the lungs are fully inflated. 

It's making me take a deep breath as I type  :D bit like when someone yawns  ::)

Do U have access to an asthma Nurse at your Surgery or Hospital, might be worth a phone call.  Let us know !

Ginger50

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 04:04:57 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Despite having asthma, I don't really experience breathing problems so that's why I'm putting this down to my starting on HRT.

I think it's probably time to make that GP appointment.

Thank you.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 04:10:06 PM »

Do let us know.

I have bounced a few threads from the past.

It may be that your body is holding 'water' which was my problem.

Dad developed late onset asthma aged 65 but I never found out why.   ::)

Tots

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 04:24:48 PM »

Hi
I too put a post on as I'm presuming one of the things in my hrt I've just started can affect my asthma thyroid and diabetes as it says special precautions must be taken with those illnesses but no one seems to know what or why
Aj

Ginger50

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »

I developed asthma about 12 years ago. I think it was partly due to a bout of bronchitis that I didn't take care of properly. It doesn't bother me very much, just when I get a heavy cold, which is pretty rare tbh. I just hate taking the inhaler, hate taking any medicine to be honest.

I decided to try HRT because the lack of sleep was affecting my training and sadly I had to cancel the marathon I was due to run in April as I'd been feeling so awful and just seemed to be getting injured more and more. It took me a while to go to the GP about it all but eventually I decided that the benefits of being able to continue to exercise outweighted the risks associated with HRT.

If this means I can't take HRT it'll be a shame as initially it really helped.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 04:28:02 PM »

Could you contact a runners group to see how others cope?  There are probably ladies with similar issues.

How is your HRT delivered, would patches improve the situation?  Again ask a Pharmacist?

Ginger50

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »

Hi
I too put a post on as I'm presuming one of the things in my hrt I've just started can affect my asthma thyroid and diabetes as it says special precautions must be taken with those illnesses but no one seems to know what or why
Aj

Yes, I know what you mean. All the warnings are there but no explanations.

A lot of the info I've read mentions that HRT can help lung function as you age but nothing about how it affects compromised lung function.

I thought this would be simple!

Ginger50

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 04:30:35 PM »

Could you contact a runners group to see how others cope?  There are probably ladies with similar issues.

How is your HRT delivered, would patches improve the situation?  Again ask a Pharmacist?

Yes, that's definitely worth a try. Thanks for that suggestion.

I'm currently using Oestrogel and then a progesterone tablet. Definitely worth exploring other methods of delivery.

Thank you.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 04:31:50 PM »

It's a Learning Curve  ::) we have a running thread here somewhere!