Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie - Mirena & Oestrogel advice  (Read 2077 times)

JJ1971

Newbie - Mirena & Oestrogel advice
« on: July 12, 2019, 06:11:40 PM »

Hi, I'm 48 and perimenopausal. I had the mirena coil fitted 5 weeks ago & started 2 pumps oestrogel at the same time.
Main symptoms were heavier, irregular painful periods and massive rages. Things that would normally be irritating would become a massive issue, always simmering ready to blow.

5 weeks in and still bleeding from having coil fitted. Suffered period pains up to 4 weeks but easing now. Been really low which I have never suffered from before. Still get irritated but not to boiling point so much. Been back and had coil checked & chatted to doc re gel as just expected to feel 'better' by now. Said to give it another couple of months.

Read about ladies who feel marvelous after a week but I felt worse. Hate feeling low, not my normal nature.

Just want to feel 'normal' again and stop the bleeding. I have a very loving & patient husband that I haven't been near in months. Had hoped hrt would help with that too.  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie - Mirena & Oestrogel advice
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:39:27 PM »

:hug:  HORMONES  >:(  ::). HRT isn't an instant fix.  The body doesn't get where it is suddenly [other than surgical intervention] so one needs to allow any replacement hormones to get into the system which can take 3-4 months.  So don't give up!

I had rages on 'prozac'  :o  :cuss: but was nasty B4 periods arrived.  That's how DH knew when to duck  ::).  Things I dealt with daily would suddenly become an excuse to fly into a rage  :o  :o ...... to the point of throwing items but nothing expensive.

Did you have tearfulness prior to a bleed?  If you feel low then maybe an anti-depressant for 6-8 months to ease you over this?  Some ladies do find that they require appropriate medication as well as HRT.

NorthArm

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »

Hi JJ1971

I had the mirena fitted just over three months ago, and have all the symptoms you're describing. I had two no bleed/spotting days in May and June, and am just coming to the end of two no bleed/spotting days now - I'll have to see if I start bleeding again today or tomorrow, it's so frustrating.

Over the last couple of weeks, my sleeping has gone out the window - averaging about 4 hours a night, and adrenal surges and night sweats have returned too, as well as being quite dry downstairs. This has correlated with me taking a break from testosterone as a recent blood test showed my levels to be very high, and my gp was concerned. My oestrogen levels are still low, have never been more than 178 pmol since October 2016 - no idea what they were before then....And I'm on a 100mcg patch 🙄.

So, I'm going to start using the testosterone again, and slap an extra half patch on from today and see how I go.

Have you thought about upping your two pumps of gel to three? That might help you feel a bit better. Many ladies on here are using 4 or more. Hopefully, with a bit more time, the bleeding/spotting will stop. I'm resolving to give this six months, and if it's still happening I'll be looking at a hysterectomy as I have suspected adenomyosis. I did have a ‘proper' period about two weeks ago, so lord knows what's going on, lol.

Good luck with it all xx

JJ1971

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:42:08 PM »

Thank you ladies.

Not sure I could put up with bleeding for nearly 6 months... I think I'd have to have coil out and try something else. Admire your perseverance!

Am trying to be patient and give it time. I guess because I'm usually fairly positive that feeling low & grumpy all the time is hard.

I did try a low dose anti depressant about a year ago but it didn't suit (rash) so just left it and carried on. Not tearful anymore more just low moods, tired.

Take quite a few different meds for type 2 diabetes so gel was preferred option by doc.

Need to watch my weight now, was doing better but can't focus in that until I'm in the right frame of mind.

Feel like I'm always whinging.   :(

JJ1971

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 05:06:09 PM »

Just been reading through some other posts...

Can oestrogel cause spotting/bleeding?  - so it may not be my coil ( in 5 weeks) that's causing it? Didn't notice that on the leaflet

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 11:41:43 PM »

I spotted for 4.5 months after i had my mirena fitted, pleased i didn't give it up as for me the combination with Oestrogel is a great method.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 01:02:43 PM »

JJ1971 - it's very early days for you. As you are peri menopause it could be worth going down to one pump of gel each day as this could well reduce the bleeding - although it usually takes 8-12 weeks before all bleeding and spotting stops. It's only around 60% of women with a Mirena who are completely bleed free (so some spotting and occasional bleeding can happen for some months)  - when still peri, your own hormones will still be fluctuating in the background.  This HRT combo can be the least hassle of all the options.
After the Mirena is fitted, there is an initial biggish hit of progesterone that can give side effects but this should also settle within 3-4 months.
Any HRT takes time to settle - the body has to adjust. DG x
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:45:17 PM by Dancinggirl »

NorthArm

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 09:27:38 PM »

Hi JJ1971

Just a heads up - I have now been 6 days bleed/spot free, so I have my fingers crossed that it continues 😁

The info out there is to give it a good 3-6 months, which is why I'd resolved to keep going xx

Lor

Newbie - Mirena & Oestrogel advice
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 02:13:39 PM »

Hello ladies, I'm a newbie on this forum :-* . I am 49 & 3/4 and have had the Mirena fitted for 4 1/2 years now (needs to be replaced in Nov  :-\). It took a bit of getting used to initially - the first few months were the worst after which any side effects like sore boobs etc diminished. I have since had no issues at all and have only praise for such a wonderful device (I haven't had a period or even spotting for around 3 1/2 years. I suffered with painful periods and had it fitted at the same time as having a polyp removed (so I was asleep at the time it was fitted). I am dreading having it replaced as I'll be awake this time! I definitely want a replacement as I'm not sure if my periods have stopped even though I have finally been diagnosed as menopausal via a blood test. I'm pretty sure I have been menopausal for some years but have always been told by GPs that I was too young. Well, I have today started on OESTROGEL - yay!!! (just one pump) I initially wanted patches but they are out of stock everywhere local! I just wondered if anyone else uses this gel and what their experience with it has been - i.e. if you've noticed any improvements such as getting more sleep and less hot flushes and night sweats etc. To be honest I've had the gel sitting there for a day or so as I have been a bit nervous to try it after all the bad press HRT has had over the years. I recently watched a week long morning breakfast show on the BBC (I think that was called "Menopause matters") which I found fascinating and encouraged me to finally do something about my menopausal symptoms. I will keep you up-to-date with how I get on! Lastly, I have struggled to find a person to discuss the menopause with properly as the GPs at my surgery just do not know enough. They had to "look into" the available treatments etc to determine if it's ok with the Mirena before prescribing to me. I still haven't had a meaningful conversation with anyone and have had to look up most info on the good old internet! x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 02:46:35 PM »

Lor - welcome to MM - Oestrogel is great- I used it for many years. Starting with one pump per day is good and if after 4-6 weeks your symptoms aren't improving you can then go up to 2 pumps.  I also like the the Mirena - much less hassle and fewer side effects than other forms of progesterone. Your Mirena should be replaced soon I'm afraid. Let us know how you get on.  Dg x

Lor

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 09:12:27 AM »

Thanks for your reply Dg. I am hoping it will be a long awaited life changer for me - fingers & toes crossed!  :D xx