Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Realistic expectations?  (Read 1891 times)

Mogster71

Realistic expectations?
« on: July 21, 2019, 07:00:51 PM »

Hi everyone,

I've had a tricky week with my symptoms; re-started HRT on Monday and had a horrible migraine on Wednesday/Thursday which I'm only just getting over. I know it's early doors with my HRT journey but this time around I've had no relief at all from headaches and generally feeling sh*t (sorry).

I took my first lot of Novofem throughout June and as I didn't breeze through it I gave it a rest for a bit before attempting the same tablet again. My reason was that I was still having the same nausea/headaches/adrenaline rushes without it, and it was suggested that in time it could settle. Plus with HRT being in short supply. This time I got the side effects at the beginning. I'm not sure whether it's because I was already half way through my cycle naturally and they would have happened anyway because the hormones take time, or quite what.

I had hoped, probably unrealistically, that HRT was going to be the magic potion and make me feel "me" again. I just wondered what you ladies felt? When did it start to help you? Does it solve all your problems or do you still have to take other things to get through? I don't take any other prescribed medication regularly other than this, and I'm prepared to give HRT a good try, but if you've tried more than one regime, when do you decide that's enough and time to try again or do without? What were your reasons for starting it in the first place, was it the first idea or had you tried natural remedies first that didn't work?

I'm going tomorrow morning to talk to my GP about the results of my bone/blood tests so I will address the questions with her but it would be good to know that I'm not being unrealistic. It feels really difficult to think you've got to stick with something for x weeks/months when you don't feel well :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Realistic expectations?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 07:05:07 PM »

Hormone replacement therapy isn't always a quick fix.  Usually the body hasn't got where it is suddenly so putting extra hormones into the mix can be upsetting.  Or they can help, it depends on where the body is ..........

Take a list with you to the appt. to talk through.

It's 'the change' - does what it says on the tin  ::)

Mogster71

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 07:20:24 PM »

Hi CLKD

Oh you are so right.....I am definitely not the same person as even earlier this year. I don't feel I'm coping well with it, the thought of another 10/20 years of this shizzle is not filling me with glee... ::)

I'll be interested to see what the blood tests say, unreliable as we know them to be, according to last September's I was in menopause, although still having monthly-ish events! Just seems to have revved up this spring/summer.

Jari

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 07:28:40 PM »

Hi Mogster, what made you go for hrt? Are you still have regular periods or have they stopped now? If so, how many months have they stopped?
What were your symptoms to make you want hrt? X

Mogster71

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »

Hi Jari

My periods were getting more and more erratic; regular for a few months then a gap etc. This year I think my last one was probably around Easter so a good month's gap before seeing the GP on 31 May. No hot flushes but silent migraine and headaches started last year and becoming more frequent. My GP thought I would benefit as I am very slight and he was concerned for my bones.

I did have a bleed as soon as I finished the first round of HRT but I don't know when that might have happened without the tablets. Now I know more about peri I realise that migraines/tingling in hands, digestive symptoms etc. had been getting more frequent and were probably connected to hormones. I was looking for something that would treat the whole lot I suppose...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 07:44:42 PM »

Which symptom would you like to ease first? 

Tingling in the hands is commonly related to hormones, i.e. carpal tunnel syndrome in pregnancy.   So hormones can cause all kinds of problems ..........

Certainly HRT can help bones and heart.  As can brisk exercise on a regular basis, a good diet, sunshine and good hydration.  Let us know how you get on.

Mogster71

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 08:01:11 PM »

CLKD

I think it's the migraines and headaches that I hate the most :( I don't like feeling or being sick and they really knock my appetite as well, which then makes the digestive symptoms worse as too long between meals makes acid worse etc. Plus energy levels take a dip.

I have started walking for pleasure daily and drinking more water. A gym is not for me, neither does it work geographically as I am at least half an hour away from one. I've got loads of free weights and the internet so I can do that here :)

Jari

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 07:39:13 AM »

Hi Mogster, are you taking hrt currently? If so, which one?

When you get your blood results, make sure to ask about your vitamin D levels if they did that check? This deficiency can causes headaches...

Do you take any supplements? If you are, make sure they are good ones. Vitamin D needs to be D3! X

Mogster71

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 01:39:52 PM »

Jari!!

Just the lady  :)

Back from doctors, so another day off taken and what do you know, they've lost the hormone bloods AGAIN. The GP was mortified but I have remained calm, they were repeated again today.

All other bloods are apparently perfect - however my bone scan shows mild osteopaenia so I am starting Calcium + Vit D3 later this week - no card machine at the surgery and I don't do cash!!

She says if the HRT is making me feel this rough I should stop. To be fair I'm in a happy old mood today about that. I hoped it would cure-all, maybe it's just not for me.

So - onwards

No flushes (yet)
Adrenaline rushes yes
Headaches
Nausea  :'(

Any suggestions for some supplements please? Do I take an all-rounder like Menopace or similar? Plus magnesium for the headaches?

Thanks for all your help ladies x

Jari

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 01:58:58 PM »

Hi Mogster! 😊

I take a brand called viridian. Bio care also good.

I take women 40+ multi as a basic. You'd need that, plus:

Viridian high potency calcium and D3.

Viridian high potency magnesium.

Prunes are also great for osteopenia. 6 a day. I stew mine in water to and keep in fridge to have on cereal every morning. X

Mogster71

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 02:17:45 PM »

Hi Jari :)

Coincidentally I already have Viridian Magnesium as recommended by my local health shop! Will I be ok with the calcium and D3 from the doctors or will the vridian be better? Broad as it is long really as I pay for prescriptions anyway... women 40+ Viridian also?

I'm not sure about the prunes  :-X I have IBS I will be scared to laugh  ;D xx

Jari

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 05:31:20 PM »

😂 re the prunes!

I would take the 40+ as a basic multi then the others on top.

I think viridian are good. They have quality vitamins. I don't know what your gp intends to give you. I guess you could go with that and see what they're like. Then next time get viridian and compare.. x

Mogster71

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 06:29:20 PM »

Thanks Jari!

Time to do some more reading :) x

shrosphirelass

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 07:24:41 PM »

I went on HRT beacuse I was having frequent severe headaches and nausea. I didn't have flushes either.  Also has stomach issues which I didn't realise were related at the time. HRT made a big difference to me, re stomach and headaches until I increased dose. I'm now struggling with the progesterone part ( on evorel sequi) which seems to bring back the headaches.

Have you tried a patch or gel as I was told that pills wouldn't be the best for people who have headaches.

Mogster71

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »

Hi Shropshirelass

Apologies for the delay I have only just seen your kind message - sorry to hear you had similar issues but glad it was resolved. I have been to see my GP this morning for my blood test results, which I'm just trying to fathom out!! She didn't really go into massive detail (although I have a copy as I asked to bring them away with me), just that I am definitely perimenopausal.

She did suggest a patch to me but I'm sitting with it for a bit to see how I am with no HRT - I just don't want to find something, get on fab with it and then not be able to get hold of it again! She did tell me that supplies were so difficult to acquire and some were quoting 2020 as availability again!! Absolutely terrible, how can this even happen??

Thank you for checking in :) I'm going to have a read of all the bumpf she gave me now x
Pages: [1] 2