Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Confused and Concerned....  (Read 753 times)

wuzzie

Confused and Concerned....
« on: August 09, 2019, 06:53:05 AM »

Hoping some of you may be able to help.

I am post meno (5 years) and since December have been on two pumps of estrogel (the minimum dose) in the morning and one 100 mg utrogestan pill every evening.

For a while I seemed to be ok but gradually I have been feeling out of sorts.........waking in the night and not getting back to sleep, anxious, heart flutters, buzzing feeling, tinnitus constantly, burning mouth., nausea.  No flashes though.   I am concerned this is too high/low estrogel or too high progesterone but have no idea which.  I know I can increase or decrease the estrogel to see what works but I'm not sure you can do the same with the progesterone as it protects the uterus. 

Has anyone ever reduced their progesterone element?  Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.  I am booked in to see GP in a couple of weeks and will ask for hormone blood work but would like to tweak my dose if possible in the meantime as I am feeling so
strange.

Jari

Re: Confused and Concerned....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 07:21:41 AM »

Hi wuzzie, how long have you been taking this for?
I used to take both these but had hideous symptoms after 2 months so I ditched it!!

At what stage did your symptoms start?

Mine started around the time of my last period, two years ago.

I was on a much lower dose that you, only taking utrogestan for 7 days a month and just one pump a day. This low dose still gave me hideous symptoms. I feel so much better now that I don’t take these hormones.

How bad are your symptoms and what symptoms were you having to make you want hrt?

X
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:03:59 AM by Jari »

wuzzie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 07:50:49 AM »

I've been taking it Ssince December.  I think symptoms have gradually got worse over this time and they're quite bad at the moment.  I started because I was having trouble sleeping at night, feeling hot and ‘panicky'.  I'm not sure whether I can try reducing the Progesterone.  I take it every day as I am post meno and don't want a bleed.  But to be honest I'm not sure what is to blame the Estrogen or the Progesterone. 

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 08:09:51 AM »

Hi wuzzie. I've never used your particular HRT regime but there are different types of HRT for you to try if this one isn't suiting you so don't feel this one is your only option

As you say it is difficult to lower the progesterone dose and still maintain protection of the womb but hopefully someone will be along soon who has had advice on this. It's encouraging that initially you felt well on the estrogel and utrogestan as a bit of tweaking may put you back on track.

Taz x   :welcomemm:

Jari

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 08:11:54 AM »

Wuzzie, did you have symptoms for your first 4 years post meno? If so, did you take anything then?
I agree and don't know either, whether my horrible symptoms were because of the gel or progesterone.
I do know for sure, for me, it was not worth it, because of the symptoms they caused.
For me it's better not to take it and instead I'm going the natural route. Still have flushes a bit, but they're getting far less and id rather deal with that than have all the hideous symptoms that hrt gave me.

I didn't get a bleed btw with just 7 days utrogestan. I'm also post meno. Maybe try reducing the gel by half and take utrogestan just 7 days. See if that helps a bit.. x

wuzzie

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »

Thank you to everyone who replied.  It is so confusing isn't it but your comments have helped.  I think I have made a decision to try one thing at a time.  First I will up the Estrogel by one pump and see what happens.  If no relief, then I will maybe miss a dose or two of progesterone to see if that does the trick.  The worst thing for me is not sleeping.  I'm not one of those people who can wake up a 4 am and not be affected by it which just adds to the anxiety and tension.  A chicken and egg situation.  I don't want to change things too much until I have my blood test as it will affect the readings.