Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena not inserted properly so removed - where now?  (Read 814 times)

Dee46

Mirena not inserted properly so removed - where now?
« on: July 17, 2019, 06:09:00 PM »

I posted some weeks back regarding the pain & bleeding I was having with the newly inserted coil.

I initially had spotting for a few days then heavy for approximately 5 weeks (whilst I was on holiday), a bit of spotting & then heavy again, I was also getting really bad cramps & back ache, I felt like I need to push down, the pain was horrendous at times with bloating & IBS, my GP prescribed me some Mefenamic acid tablets for my holiday but told me only to take if necessary, so I only took when I felt really bad, the pain & bleeding was waking me in the night. At my 8 week coil check last Monday the GP who fitted it said she could see the strings & gave me my smear at the same time as there was no blood. I told her about my pain & she said it takes 3 to 6 months to settle.

Last Friday, Saturday & Sunday the pain was horrendous the bleeding was heavy, I was passing big clots & soaking through my clothes, this was upsetting, Monday I had a calmer day & then again yesterday morning I was passing clots which were even passing through a tampon. I took myself to A&E, the gynea department delt with me, I was told I should have had a scan as this had been going on 9 weeks, she examined me & it appeared the coil had not been fitted correctly so she removed it there & then, she said all the pain & clotting was down to my body trying to expel the mirena, I had bloods done & my iron levels were fine. She sent me home with a 7 day course of Tranexamic acid tablets & a 5 day course of Norethisterone.

The gynea doctor is refering me for a scan & we spoke about getting another coil fitter at the hospital, she also said they would do an investigation & an ablation is a possibility too, I am not sure I want to try a coil again, also not sure how the ablation works, my periods have only got worse since I was put on progestone with oestrogen, beforehand I was on the mini pill & just having brownish light periods.

My question is: 1) as the wait for gynocology department is 18 weeks what do I do about progesterone until then? I am on 100mcg Estradot

2) I understand that after the ablation I will still need to take progesterone orally?

I am speaking with my GP tomorrow & need to start the ball rolling with progesterone until I get my appointment & she doesnt have a clue about HRT!!!!!

Any advise would be helpful

Dotty

Re: Mirena not inserted properly so removed - where now?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 06:48:22 PM »

Hi Utrogestan is a progesterone that you could use. Or Provera x

Dee46

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 07:49:02 PM »

I was on 100mg of Utrogestan before I had the mirena inserted, I found that the withdrawal was a bit erratic hence I thought I would try the mirena

Provera is that taken for half the month too?

Tracey E

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »

Well I had an appointment today to fit a Mirena at the surgery and the doctor couldn't do it.  ??? So now I've got to wait for an appointment with the gynocoligist to get one fitted at the hospital.  :'(