Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Auntie 73 yrs- would HRT be an option  (Read 808 times)

NRGEE

Auntie 73 yrs- would HRT be an option
« on: July 15, 2019, 04:10:13 PM »

Firstly just to say my auntie is going to book a GP appointment to discuss this. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experiences of HRT for older ladies

She had her uterus surgically removed. She still has her ovaries; but " they weren't working properly". She had some fertility treatment when she was younger.

She is currently v anxious/ panic attacks/ low mood/ incontinence. She does take an antidepressant. Would HRT be considered in someone of her age? She has never had HRT when she was younger.

I've suggested to her to chat to her GP. There is no history of breast cancer or any other medical contraindication that I know of.

Any thoughts...…. much appreciated. Thanks

jaycee

Re: Auntie 73 yrs- would HRT be an option
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:05:37 PM »

If your aunt has a good Dr, he should consider it, but she may have to have a womb check first,i don't know, but my Dr put me back on it at 73, it might make a difference that she hasn't been on HRT before, but i can't see why he/she would say no outright,
No harm in asking,i did have to have an examination at the hospital, but i think it was because i had a slight spotting, all was fine, but i had vaginal atrophy which i am sure your aunt will have if she has no HRT previously
Is there a particular reason why your aunt has decided just now why she would like to have it?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:16:03 PM »

No womb jaycee ;-)

If she is incontinent the important issue is discuss vaginal atrophy!  A well woman chat with the Nurse Practitioner - maybe taking a list of symptoms along?  Hopefully the GP will be clued up. 

If she is suffering anxiety then appropriate medication would be my first suggestion.  Also maybe up the dose of her AD.   These are common in the elderly [though there is no legal status of 'elderly'].  Does she live alone?  Maybe she is lonely?  Hopefully she will get to discuss these issues too.  AgeUK often run drop in centres so that may be something to consider if Auntie is active?

jaycee

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:33:29 PM »

Oops, sorry, should have read it properly sorry.would the Dr consider HRT CKLD, if this hasn't had it or needed it previously though?
Just wondering why now

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:36:07 PM »

Depends as we know on how clued up GPs are across the UK?  No harm in asking so taking a list of symptoms along means nowt will be missed in the heat of the moment.  Hopefully it will be a positive outcome.

NRGEE

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 11:04:48 PM »

It was me that actually suggested to her it may help- she hasn't recognised her symptoms as those that could perhaps be helped by HRT. She lives in South Africa and shares her house with lodgers- so she is not alone- but saying that she does get lonely. Her GP may feel an increase in her antidepressant is warranted. Thank you ladies for your replies.

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 07:26:05 AM »

If she has incontinence issues, as CLKD said she should at least discuss VA. The proper name is Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause (GSM) as it affects the bladder and urethra too. It will only get worse as time goes on, so needs treating with local oestrogen asap.

I do hear of ladies in their 70s and even 80s starting HRT, but suspect it is an uphill struggle to get it via a GP. I can't see any reason for her not to start transdermal oestrogen (risk free as far as I know) at that age. I restarted it at 67 having taken it orally after a TAH/BSO until age 54, when my supplies were stopped by my new GP in 2003/4 due to the scare stories around at the time. Unfortunately these still persist. Don't know the situation in SA but suspect it's the same. She can but try!

JP x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 09:10:09 PM »

Let us know ?