Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ongoing intense itching  (Read 3306 times)

PMB63

Ongoing intense itching
« on: July 15, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »

Good Morning. I was wondering if anybody can relate and offer some advice as this is literally driving me crazy. I've had intense all over body itching for over 6 months now. I've tried everything and it's not made any difference. I'm 56 and been post menopausal for about 3 years. I've recently stopped my Femoston Conti after emailing Dr Currie in desperation. She commented that some ladies have experienced this on the Femoston but on the other hand it could be another menopausal symptom I'm now on Oestrogel (2pumps) and Utrogestan 100mg orally every day. Yet the itching continues relentless and my GP has no answers as there's no rash with it.  I've tried all the otc antihistamines and prescription ones too. I've used E45, Aloe Vera, Dermacool cream and currently Aveeno Dermexa body wash and cream. I really am getting desperate. By the way even my nipples are affected and very sensitive too.  Thank you for reading this and letting me rant on 😘 x x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ongoing intense itching
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:28:59 AM »

As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry: inside and out = itching.  Deep in the ears [me], nostrils, eyes [me], all over my back [me], insteps [me], between the toes, vagina  :o [lots of us  >:(]; I use 'Vaseline' hand cream and DH uses 'Nivea' every night as his legs are dry and itch. 

Maybe using a good moisturiser several times a day, to keep skin supple - don't wait until the skin is dry enough to itch.  [behind my ears right now  :(].  Rinse scalp with cool water might help too after shampooing. 

When my dog itched a lot she was found to have a mite under her skin  :o.  Do you walk in bracken? More likely hormones  ::)

Maybe up the oestrogen?

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 11:06:55 AM »

Oh yes, I have itched badly for many years. I am peri, 49. It drives me mad, I am an utter fleabag.
TBH I have tried it all, all moisturisers, antihistamines, amytriptyline etc etc. I have been on hrt for the last 18 months, Femeston and have not noticed any worsening or improvement.
One thing that did help was a free hand/arm massage from a shop called lush. It was soooooo greasy, but just goes to show how dry my arms were as it really soaked it up, cocoa butter, oils of all descriptions. I , of course got sucked in and bought the product - nothing is ever free!! and although I still itch it is not as bad or raw.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 11:10:49 AM »

Have you spoken to a pharmacist about anti-histamine treatment?  Often products over-the-counter are suggested at lower amounts than what would be required for continual problems, might be asking if one can for example, double amounts? 

GJP

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:39:28 AM »

Have you spoken to a pharmacist about anti-histamine treatment?  Often products over-the-counter are suggested at lower amounts than what would be required for continual problems, might be asking if one can for example, double amounts?

Has your Dr checked your liver function? Itching can be due to your liver not being able to function properly.

PMB63

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 12:43:16 PM »

Hi again and thank you for replying and for your suggestions, too. I've had a kidney function test which came back normal but will ask about my liver when I speak to the GP next. I will also ask the pharmacist for more advice on antihistamines but have tried so many in the past 6 months. Can anybody tell me if I were to up my oestrogel (currently apply 2 pumps at night) would I need to increase the Utrogestan which I presently take every day (100mg orally) without a break. Thanks again ladies 😘 x x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 01:11:58 PM »

Again - check with the Pharmacist?

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »

I have tried quite large doses of antihistamines over the time. OTC and prescription, but as the itching is not caused by a ‘histamine'response, they of course do not and will not work in whatever dose you take them- although they can send you to sleep, which gives some respite from scratching.
I have had liver function, kidney function , crp (inflammatory markers) and they are all normal.
I will say though when I up my oestrogen it does help a bit.

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 04:09:56 PM »

My dad had severe itching in the last few years of his life - he added olive oil to his bathwater which really helped. 

My mum has the same issue and aloe vera works for her (you swallow it).  I tried it too but it gave me agonising tummy cramps. 

I've found the best thing that works for me is coconut oil (you can buy it in the cooking section of most supermarkets).  Only downside is I smell like a walking fruit salad and if I go outside on a windy day, I develop an immediate 'tan' from all the dust that sticks to me, but it's a small price to pay.  ;)

I think it really is a case of keeping trying different things till you find a solution - one person's dream solution may not work for another.

Something else to look at is water - I lived in Leeds for a year and had hardly any skin itching, except when I visited my mum in Wales - it would start as soon as I had my first bath or shower there.  Funny thing is, Welsh water is much softer which you would think would be better for skin.

Another possibility is allergies - might be worth trying an elimination diet?

bear

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 04:42:58 PM »

Hi PMB63,
Have you had any thyroid tests done recently? Both hypo and hyperthyroidsm can cause persistent itching, and it is known that oestrogen can influence thyroid function.
BeaR.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 07:02:26 PM by bear »

Foxylady

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 05:33:08 PM »

PMB63, sorry to hear you are having this intense itch, I had it for a number of years despite high dose prescribed antihistamine (under Endocrinology at the time as told def not menopause - bloods are normal so ended up down the mast cell activation disorder road, thankfully 3 years later I now know I was right in the first place peri menopause - not anyhting weird & wonderful). I have been using Dermol 500 as a shower wash as I had tried all sort of hypoallergenic etc products. My skin has b=never been better & the itch is totally gone. Only take antihistamine for hayfever now. Hope you find relief soon. x

jaycee

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 09:53:08 PM »

I had this last year for about 3 months, so bad that i woke up one morning with my arm really badly scratched in my sleep, my back was the worst, but it was all over, scalp also, then it just went, no idea what caused it,
I was told it was menopausal, but i have been post meno for years

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 09:55:23 PM »

Maybe a psoriasis support group might have advice about products? 

Dorothy

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 10:05:12 PM »

Maybe a psoriasis support group might have advice about products? 

I don't know if this is helpful?  It's looking at moisturisers, rather than psoriasis treatments, so might be more useful for those itching without rashes.

https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/media/InformationSheets/Moisturising.pdf

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »

Tnx.  We are a Mine of Info  :foryou:

Honey is a healer but don't know if I would want it slathered all over me, especially in the Summer months.   ::).  Too sticky.  Too many hover flies, wasps etc.. 

My dog has mange, she had a special bath every month and came home smelling like a creosoted fence  :o  ::) - it stopped the itch.  Coal Tar soap?    )thinking aloud here(

Patting dry and not rubbing? 
Pages: [1] 2