Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Nose bleeds  (Read 7268 times)

groundhog

Nose bleeds
« on: July 14, 2019, 10:11:41 PM »

Hi ladies,
My woes continue, or should I say hubby again.
He had a nose bleed Friday night and whilst not that heavy, it didn't stop. He was admitted to hospital and they packed his nose, it was brutal to be honest he was in a lot of pain.  They think they had pressed in a nerve.
Long horrible weeekend, he was discharged this afternoon after taking packing out as it seemed to have stopped .  Started again tonight and now he is back in, more packing.  We are quite gutted as you can imagine.
Wondering if anyone had any experience of nosebleeds and can they be fixed.  Dr google has terrified me.

Cacarosa

Re: Nose bleeds
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 10:23:33 PM »

If it's not too heavy, tranexamic acid helps

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 06:23:56 AM »

I had them all the time when I was younger.  Still get them but not as much.  I know when I had several that took a long time to stop, they were talking about cauterizing the vessels in the nose.

If he's not had them before, it may be a one-off and the repeat bleed was because the blood vessels are already damaged.  So if they can heal up it may not happen again.  Does he know what triggered it?

It was very warm here yesterday, and hot weather/air pressure/thunderstorms make me particularly prone to nosebleeds.  So I try to avoid hot drinks, heavy exercise, bending with my head down low etc at these times.  Keeping the back of the neck cool helps - try using a very cold flannel.  I'm quite fortunate in that I can often feel the pressure building, so have the chance to do something about it before I start to bleed.  Although a couple of times, I have had one start with no warning and ended up looking like an extra in a horror film!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:14:53 AM »

Nose bleeds are one of my dreads ....... saw it a lot as a medical secretary and cauterisation was the method then.  Blood pressure?  Small blood vessels being ruptured, blood tends to go a long way  :o

What did they pack it with?  Has he had a cold recently?

:foryou:

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 05:18:57 PM »

Hi ladies,
Thanks for your comments.
He's never had a significant nose bleed before , this came totally out of the blue.  He was bending over cleaning the paddling pool and it started.
He has been packed and it's not stopping,  this has been going on since Friday.  He is to have an op tomorrow to try and fix the problem.  Dorothy they have mentioned cauterisation but they think it's an artery so it's quite tricky, I'm worried sick. He already has a deviated septum as he got his nose broken in the police , a drug addict kicked back and smashed his nose.  This is complicating things as they may have to rebreak his nose.  I'm not sure, it's best I don't know.
As usual my health anxiety is now off the scale thinking all sorts.  CLKD I have no experience of nose bleeds but after this I won't consider them lightly as it's been a horrible experience and he's not out of the woods yet.

groundhog

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »

Thanks Rosie, il never think of a nosebleed as minor again.  A horrible experience especially the packing which was brutal.
Hopefully they will sort him out tomorrow.  So does your son just manage them at home?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 09:49:08 PM »

Is OH on any particular medication?

Let us know how he gets on, is he taking pyjamas?

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 10:10:06 PM »

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry.  Nosebleeds always look more terrifying than they really are, and the amount of blood looks so scary even when it isn't that much.  I used to lose huge clots and soak loads of tissues on a daily basis - looked really frightening, but it wasn't nearly as much blood as it looked!   

It sounds like the hot weather combined with bending over may have triggered it.  I try to keep my head up as much as possible, especially when it's hot.  Worth bearing in mind for the future.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 10:12:35 PM »

Apparently deviated septum + dry weather = nose bleeds  :o add to that bending over !

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »

Been thinking about you!  I expect OH is being kept in over-night?

groundhog

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 09:33:33 PM »

Hi ladies,
Not long home.  Yes CLKD hubby will be in for a few days at least.
The op was complicated and after 3 hours I started to panic a bit,  my son in law came and awaited with me.  The surgeon eventually turned up and said he was ok, it had been complex.  He tied off an artery and it was dry afterwards but he did say his nose is so battered after the packing etc, there could be a bit of residual bleeding.  He is hopeful it's sorted.  He asked me if he had any other problems and I told him sbout the blood in semen,  I had passed this infor on but he didn't seem to be aware.  He said it didn't change anything . His bloods are good,  if you google blood in semen and nosebleeds it suggests Leukemia which has been playing on my mind. Should know not to google.
Back to one day at a time or even half a day,  at least with the big packing out he can breathe a bit and when I rang now he was asleep so I'm hopefully going to sleep tonight too,

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »

Tnx for the update.  You should know better than look at Dr Google!  NHS web-sites are better ;-).

He'll need lots of advice to stop this happening in future. 

groundhog

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 10:19:30 PM »

I think the problem is CLKD no one can say why it happened and that's what's worrying me x
Thanks for input ladies xx

Lanzalover

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 05:52:53 AM »

Good morning groundhog

Hope you managed to get some sleep, and your hubby is feeling a little better today.

Lanzalover x

groundhog

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 08:38:58 AM »

Thank you Lamzalover.
I did sleep albeit broken sleep.
He was brighter but then had a doom and gloom  consultant so he's down again now. The consultant was on about necrosis of the nose which can happen when you clamp arteries, so worrying.  We'll get there I hope.

Surely in this day and age they can sort this out but I'm afraid I have so little confidence and hope it makes every journey difficult xx

As I sat in the hospital last night I felt very very lonely.  i have a few close friends but no one I would have asked to be with me, as to them it was ‘just a nose bleed'.   My lovely daughter has 2 little ones, my sister has her children so they couldn't come.  My husband's family offered but I was so hurt recently by an incident, I don't feel the same way now.
I felt I had no one,  in the end my son in law to be came down.  I didn't realise how much I need my husband by my side.  It's weird as all the number of times I've said  to him ‘ one day you'll have a problem then you'll know what it's like' kind of conversation.  Then this happens.  We are both seeing it from the other persons shoes which will help us recover as a couple but I still wish with all my heart this had never happened x  the outcome seems so uncertain.  Plus when he went into a&E when all this began last Friday,  there was some dripping blood, they overreacted I think, inserted a massive pack without anaesthetic as if he was bleeding to death and he was in agony, he is now so fearful of this happening again.  Do you  think I should let the consultant know or will I just make waves ?
Pages: [1] 2 3