Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Could massage make burning mouth worse?  (Read 4831 times)

Kalinka

Could massage make burning mouth worse?
« on: July 13, 2019, 10:18:18 AM »

Before the massage I had had four and a half days mouth pain-free for the first time in five years. Later that day, it started again and has been getting worse for over a week.
The massage therapist didn't use a lot of pressure as she knows I can't tolerate it, and I told her about my mouth, though she'd never heard of the condition. Afterwards I felt wiped out, but I was expecting that. I don't really like massage but thought it might help a tight area in my back.
I can't see anything in massage contraindications that would explain this, so am mystified. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Could massage make burning mouth worse?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 12:01:43 PM »

Did she massage your head, neck or facial muscles?

jaycee

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »

Maybe it upset your hormones, i had this yeas ago, Dr didn't know what caused it, but i have recently read that is connected with the menopause,
In fact i think i have seen something about it on mm

Kalinka

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »

Did she massage your head, neck or facial muscles?

She did a bit on my neck. I'm supposed to have another one in three weeks' time, and she was talking about massaging my facial muscles - which sounds like a bad idea. Mainly she worked on my upper back and shoulders.

Kalinka

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 01:37:59 PM »

Maybe it upset your hormones, i had this yeas ago, Dr didn't know what caused it, but i have recently read that is connected with the menopause,
In fact i think i have seen something about it on mm

I'm several years post-menopause, though I know it can be a symptom of it. For me it happened after dental treatment.

Did you recover from your mouth problem?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 02:28:48 PM »

I read that as 'bit my neck'  :-\ ...... need to clean my glasses?

Kalinka

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 02:41:52 PM »

I read that as 'bit my neck'  :-\ ...... need to clean my glasses?

That would have been a very unusual massage!!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 02:54:14 PM »

Would have answered your question  ;)

I would hold off on massage and speak to the dentist? 

However: what do you use in your toothpaste?  There is a product which can cause burning mouth, when I use paste which includes it - chocolate, butter, milk, causes intense burning which lasts for ages.  SLS?

Kalinka

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 03:07:10 PM »

Would have answered your question  ;)

I would hold off on massage and speak to the dentist? 

However: what do you use in your toothpaste?  There is a product which can cause burning mouth, when I use paste which includes it - chocolate, butter, milk, causes intense burning which lasts for ages.  SLS?

I've used SLS-free toothpaste since it began, but it has made no difference. I will put off the massage - I don't even like it as I dislike being face down.

jaycee

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 09:17:40 PM »

Kalinka,yes it seemed to resolve on its own from what i remember i am post meno too, and was at the time,have you googled the cause?

Kalinka

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 12:00:16 PM »

Kalinka,yes it seemed to resolve on its own from what i remember i am post meno too, and was at the time,have you googled the cause?

At the hospital where I eventually ended up they said that no one really knows the cause, hardly anyone gets better, and there's no point trying to do anything about it. I've read more sense here than I heard in hours of CBT.
The hospital doctor I saw initially was encouraging, prescribed  Nortriptyline and Lidocaine ointment  and said she thought it would sort itself out. About a month later I had to go to a group session in the same department of the same hospital, where we were given the complete opposite information - hardly anyone recovers,  etc.etc. The negativity was psychologically very damaging, and up to that point I'd been starting to feel a bit better. If I hadn't gone to the session and the subsequent CBT, they'd have discharged me. 
For me it was caused by the dentist starting a root canal treatment, grinding the tooth down until there was a tiny bit left, which was tearing my tongue to shreds. She said that she would have to leave it like that for three months before completing the treatment, though I went back twice and explained the problem.  I changed to a different dental practice, where they did complete the treatment and crowned the tooth, but by then the pain had spread to other areas of the mouth.
Sorry, that's quite long!

Foxylady

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 06:45:31 PM »

That's awful Kalinka, I hope you get relief soon, despite what you've been told. x

Kalinka

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 11:01:39 AM »

That's awful Kalinka, I hope you get relief soon, despite what you've been told. x

Thank you. It was a very bizarre experience!

BlueButterfly

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »

Could you have ended up with some nerve damage maybe from the dental work?

For my burning mouth, zinc honestly helps me. When it comes back (which is does eventually) a few days of zinc and it's gone again. I have no idea if it's a coincidence or not but the first time it didn't start to ease until then. I had read that zinc deficiency could be a cause, so that's the reason I gave zinc a try. I actually used the quick dissolving tables because that's what I had on hand. 

Kalinka

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »

Could you have ended up with some nerve damage maybe from the dental work?

For my burning mouth, zinc honestly helps me. When it comes back (which is does eventually) a few days of zinc and it's gone again. I have no idea if it's a coincidence or not but the first time it didn't start to ease until then. I had read that zinc deficiency could be a cause, so that's the reason I gave zinc a try. I actually used the quick dissolving tables because that's what I had on hand.

Well, I didn't have an injection at any point, which I think is what what would cause damage; although that's a word that the psychologist didn't allow us to use. We couldn't refer to pain either, but had to say symptoms.

The local consultant I saw did mention zinc and vitamin C. I take a multi that contains zinc, but it might be worth trying additional zinc. Thanks for the suggestion; it's always worth going back to look at things again.

Pages: [1] 2