Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie to forum - also in need of some HRT advice...  (Read 766 times)

Sarald

Newbie to forum - also in need of some HRT advice...
« on: July 12, 2019, 12:48:11 PM »

Hello everyone
I've been receiving the Menopause Matters magazine for about a year now however have only recently registered for the forums. I am 52, and started peri-menopause proper about 18 months ago. I didn't go onto HRT straightaway and tried some other medication [can't recall what it was but it was on prescription] which worked pretty well for the night sweats and flushes, however I was finding the low mood, anxiety, and emotional strain of it too much to bear and so my GP prescribed Elleste Solo for me which worked very nicely; doesn't deal with 100% of the symptoms - I don't think anything does - but it was certainly good enough. I should also say at this stage that I was born without a uterus and so that is why I was put onto estrogen only HRT. [And I was also born without a vagina which I had reconstructive surgery for in my 20s, however am finding the menopause difficult to navigate not having visible signs ie, I have never had a period].
Anyway, there have been supply issues with Elleste and so I've been given a new script for Bedol which seemed a close enough match to Elleste, however there seem to be supply issues with that one too. Does anyone else take estrogen only 2mg tablets that they aren't having problems getting hold of? I have gone back to my GP to advise him on this and await his reply. I have about a month left of my last lot of Elleste so not desperate - yet! But if anyone has something to recommend it may help me inform my GP as by his own admission this is not his area of expertise.
Hope someone can help x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie to forum - also in need of some HRT advice...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »

Hi!   :welcomemm:

I would hot foot it to my local Pharmacist and ask what is actually available.  Then ask my GP for the script.

Browse round.  Make notes!

Which symptom would you like to ease first? 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:25:51 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Sarald

I would strongly suggest you try either oestrogen patches or gel instead of pills.  Using oestrogen transdermally is often better overall.

Estradot patches seem to be the most popular (they are small and stick better) but I personally liked using Oestrogel.  I think patches are generally less hassle, they come in different strengths and you may find the 50mcg Estradot patch is OK.  Oral HRT often has to be higher in strength because so much is lost in the digestive process, so this medium dose patch may well be good for you.   If you want to try Oestrogel then 2 pumps(or squirts) applied to inner thighs each day should be enough but you can increase the dose easily with gel as you just add an extra pump if needed.
Here is the link to the info you need about your options regarding oestrogen : https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php
Perhaps print this off to show your GP - you can teach him/her a thing or two!!!!
Hope that helps.  Keep us posted.  DG x 

NorthArm

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 08:56:42 PM »

Hi Sarald

I agree with CLKD, go to your pharmacist, and ask what 2mg oestrogen tablets are available if that's your preference. There are many brands around, Zumenon and Ralovera being another two. At a pinch, you could also get the Femoston 2/10, and only take the oestrogen part (first two weeks) and discard the ones containing progesterone.

If your gp refers you to a meno clinic, maybe you could discuss having an implant with them?

Good luck with it all xx