Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: HRT or not? I am 43.  (Read 7079 times)

Kathleen

Re: HRT or not? I am 43.
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 05:55:03 PM »

Hello starchild76.

I see that you have received a good range of responses which is what a forum is all about .
There is nothing like learning from the experiences of other women who have actually tried HRT. 

The unanswered question is how do the women who ‘ sail ' through the menopause manage it, what's their secret? Obviously those women would not be posting on this site so we are unable to benefit from their experiences and knowledge which is a pity. Perhaps there should be a 'Menopause Doesn't Matter ' website lol!

Wishing you well in whatever you decide to do and please keep us updated.

Take care.

K.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2019, 08:48:37 AM »

Kathleen - you raise a very important point.  I personally don't think women 'sail' through menopause as such, it's just that some women suffer more symptoms and problems than others - they don't necessarily DO anything different or have any magic strategies that stop the symptoms, they are just LUCKY. Yes, you can and should improve your lifestyle, but for many women their 40s, 50s and 60s can be very stressful for many reasons e.g. continuing to work till late 60s, looking after elderly relatives, children unable to leave home etc. so having the time and energy to devote to managing menopausal symptoms can be very difficult.   I'm afraid it's often the women who don't have to struggle badly with menopausal symptoms who will deride those who have bad symptoms as “ making a fuss” and they will often ridicule women for using HRT.  When doctors send women away telling them to “ride the storm”, this really makes my blood boil. 
I am 63, very post menopause (since late 30s) and stopped HRT 3 years ago - I used HRT for most of the last 25 years but found progesterone progressively more difficult to tolerate: though my meno symptoms are not as bad as they once were, I'm still suffering with occasional flushes, difficulty sleeping, bad headaches and my joints have deteriorated greatly despite plenty of appropriate exercise - for me the summer is torture.
Genetics must have something to do with all this and also some women's bodies possibly adjust better.  It could be that their adrenals and other bodily functions pick up the slack.  I have friends who have barely had a hot flush - ironically three friends who didn't suffer with bad menopausal symptoms, so didn't use HRT, actually developed breast cancer!!??

Also there are some who THINK they have sailed through menopause to find that after a couple of years (when the oestrogen levels have bottomed out) they start to get more symptoms.  Things like urogenital atrophy can certainly come as a surprise to many women because they haven't had a problematic ‘change'.

We are all different and experience the menopause differently.  The women who visit this site will often be those who wisely want to become more informed and deal with the menopause in a proactive way. There will be thousands of women who are suffering because their GPs have sent them away to ‘ride the storm' - some simply ‘don't want to make a fuss' or are frightened of trying HRT.  Many women will be using HRT and simply getting on with life very successfully. Many women come to this site because they are finding it hard to find the right HRT type for them.

HRT won't fix everything, it's far from perfect and I think more needs to be done to help women with peri and post menopause, especially if they want us to work for longer. Women need o be encouraged to make their own choices about how they deal with symptoms and not be made to feel they are ‘making a fuss' or derided if they need HRT. GPs certainly need to stop dishing out antidepressants instead of HRT as the front line treatment.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2019, 09:33:52 AM »

Great post Dancinggirl :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2019, 11:37:20 AM »

I agree - well said DG!

Sally S

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2019, 05:25:54 PM »

Great post, Dancinggirl! I am 44 and dithering about whether to take HRT....only symptoms are fatigue and memory can be awful. When I contacted Dr Hannah Short she unfortunately said that HRT is not generally prescribed when the only symptom is tiredness.   

7dwarfs

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »

Hi I'm very new to all this hrt stuff but having suffered symptoms for a few years I wish I'd gone to my gp sooner .My symptoms have progressively got worse from being 42/3 and now I'm 46 and in my first week of taking femoston. Already my mood has lifted... its very early days but I was willing to try anything! But I'm sure because I've tried to manage things myself , eaten well, stayed very fit etc my hormones have taken their toll. I've posted in the private section if you would like to have a look, my symptoms were mild at 43 but I think it's something you should be aware of ( if you're not it's a shock 😳).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:35:36 PM by 7dwarfs »

Katejo

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2019, 07:26:07 PM »

Great post Dancinggirl :)

Hurdity x

I agree too.

Foxylady

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2019, 05:43:17 PM »

Had my GP appointment re FRAX score, I have to say I think it is flawed!! Although I have strong family history of osteoporosis, aged 41yrs (peri), under active thyroid (I believe this is a risk), etc my score is below the threshold that the NHS will DEXA scan, if I want one need to go private. I have been taking high dose vit D3 for around a year and now on HRT so I suppose my risk will be lessened.
Just a wee update, since starting on Everol 75mcg patches & Provera 5mg daily (3 weeks ago) my sleep has consistently improved over the last week, other than wakening at 6am on Saturday I have had a week of great sleep. Migraines and breakthrough bleeding for 4 days but otherwise positive & feeling so much better.
Pages: 1 2 [3]