Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Overwhelmed  (Read 1528 times)

Rainyday

• First Flush
Overwhelmed
« on: July 07, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »

Hello Ladies,

I'm wondering is someone can help me see the forest through the trees....

I've been on HRT for a year now, I'm 50.5 years.
First I tried Eviana, prescribed by a gynecologist (Eviana is a continuous combined hrt)

I wasn't getting hot flashes, more like just feeling hot, but I had a lot of psychological symptoms as well as extremely dry skin. The transition to going on Eviana was like night and day. I suddenly realized how MUCH I had been suffering! It happened within two weeks. Side effects were pimples, but not too bad. A bit of weight gain, which I was okay with as it wasn't a lot, and spotting. But I just felt SO MUCH better!!

I got concerned about the spotting so I went to see a different gynecologist. Well, she started freaking out, saying I was still perimenopausal why was I prescribed a continuous hrt, etc. etc. Then she insisted on a (painful) biopsy. She then prescribed patches Evorel 25 + Provera. What a disaster! Instant weight gain, feeling so stuffed and uncomfortable. I literally gained weight in 2 days, it was so gross.

After reading a lot, I realized I am probably somewhat progesterone tolerant, so I went back to her and she gave me Utrogestan. I took 200 mg for 2 months vaginally for 12 days along with the Evorel patch which I upped to 50. It was weird, maybe not as bad as the Provera, but serious constipation became an issue, as did being foggy, dreamy and sleepy during the day, kind of non-functioning. I did a period of time just on estrogen, so I'm really clear on which symptoms the Utrogestan is causing.

So. Here I am constipated for half the month with some new symptoms: anxiety, and restless leg syndrome in my right foot. I am literally shaking my foot all the time.

I'm writing because I'm feeling overwhelmed and like a guinea pig. Has anyone else gone through this trial and error kind of thing and finally levelled out???

Thank you in advance for any advice  xoxo

Rainyday

juliemargaret

Re: Overwhelmed
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 08:39:08 PM »

Hi rainyday....

I.cant answer many  questions or pass comment  as im new to hrt....but im.also peri 48.....and im on 100mg utrogestan vaginally on alternate.days ! I was advised this by a respected meno doc so not questioning it but i was also asked many times and on this forum.why im on that regime being peri and should be on a cycle. I think things have changed now and this regime (alternate days utro) is being offered to peri. You said you felt so much better on youre old regime...apart from the little niggles..bleed etc (ive had bleeding but apparently expected whilst settled so im just trying to stay positive and let it be and see how pans out)....so why dont you go back to what you know feels best for YOU...? Im sure some nore lovely women in this group will have better answers but im also sure many will agree - YOU know best.....and what made you feel better may have just been the regime for you. Sounds your doc is a bit behind with the knowledge of regimes and what nots (and not thinking/aware of off licence regimes) and is just sticking to the generic one size fits regime for peri!  (Cyclical!). 

I too posted just earlier .(see my 'update and any thoughts'  post.
X
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:45:22 PM by Jmargaret »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 07:58:59 AM »

:bighug: ............. will be back, off shopping

Mogster71

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 08:44:58 AM »

@Rainyday

You are definitely not alone. I've been trying to summon up courage to post on here because I feel like I'm all at sea....quite literally I don't know what to do!!
Terribly inexperienced with HRT so I am no help whatsoever in that respect but I think I am also intolerant to the progesterone, or at least one particular sort (which happens to be my only experience of HRT).

Sending a big big hug and I am with you worrying about the journey!!

juliemargaret

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 09:47:54 AM »

CLKD..find my post too when yr back hahaha x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »

Back!

Put the name of the product into the search box here and see what pops up. Make notes.  It can be Trial and Error ..... which is so tiring.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may be dry - inside and out: skin, scalp, vagina, deep in the ears, nostrils ...... do read the VA threads!  Also muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Although menopause is natural symptoms can really impact.  Some find keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 09:56:57 PM »

Restless legs were awful for many years.  By chance I found that bananas, several eaten daily, cured those sensations.

If necessary take a pain relief 40 mins. B4 bed.  I am aware of the feelings all the while but it starts at night  >:( - I've tried hanging the legs over the bed, laying with them up higher than my hips, but bananas which contain potassium certainly made a difference.

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 07:56:46 AM »

Oh the trials of progesterone.......
Aargh. Drove me around the bend... norethesterone =🤮,utrogestan =🤯👹, so now settled on Femeston. 18 months of going around the houses.  It is not perfect, and doesn't get rid of all my annoying symptoms, but at least it might stop me getting sectioned anytime soon.