Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New to all this 😩  (Read 1477 times)

Annieb437

New to all this 😩
« on: July 05, 2019, 06:12:51 PM »

So here I am,  44, 2 kids and nearly 2 weeks ago went through full hysterectomy with ovary removal...recovery is slow, tiredness is ridiculous amd as I can only assume I was having hot flushes seen my Gp to whi ch she has started me on sanerdna (I think that's how u spell it)  gel, 1mg... Anyone else use this and how has it been... Think I'm over worrying about the  whole thing amd need to calm down and have patience...  🙈

Joaniepat

Re: New to all this 😩
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 06:44:28 PM »

Hi Annieb437, welcome to the forum.

You have had a big operation and it will take some weeks before you feel better. From what I remember (going back to 1997 here!) it took about 8 weeks before I could go back to work, but then I had to wait 6 weeks before I could have any oestrogen because of endometriosis. Hopefully the Sandrena will kick in soon.

JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 07:04:35 PM »

:welcomemm:

Was HRT discussed prior to surgical intervention.

If not, when you feel able, do let the Menopause who-ever-they-are know! British Menopause Society Also drop a note to Dr Currie who opened this Forum.  Because ladies shouldn't be left in the dark prior to surgery, options and discussions should be prior to any mention of hysterectomy etc..

Who is home with you?  Don't lift anything heavier than a Prosecco ;-).   :whist:  :drunk:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:10:15 PM by CLKD »

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 07:40:07 PM »

I was on Sandrena before. I thought it was great stuff.
Pretty powerful.
Good luck, don't force yourself better, it'll happen in its own time.
Be kind to yourself, as Joaniepat says, you've been through a big operation...
Sending you best wishes.....xxxx

Annieb437

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 08:28:31 AM »

Thanks folks,  think I'm looking for symptoms lol... Anything different and I'm thinking oh must be cos of the menopause..i know because mine is surgical menopause things will be different and happen different,  it's the not knowing makes me anxious..think I've found a great resource here though xx

racjen

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »

Hi Annie

I'm in similar position to you having had a sudden menopause age 50 due to chemotherapy - pretty much the same as having your ovaries removed as it shuts them down for good. I found it took a few months for my levels of estrogen to dip to the point where I felt seriously depressed, and it's been a real struggle getting it recognised - for some reason surgical menopause is expected to be problematic, but chemo menopause isn't. I am on HRT, the hot flushes and joint pains went immediately but I still struggle horribly with depression and anxiety. I hope you find an HRT to suit you. Lots of others on here are in exactly your position - I'm sure someone else will come on and give you more advice.

Maxwin

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 03:58:10 PM »

Hi Annieb, it really does take time surgical menop is a long ride.  I had to keep repeating to myself slow and steady wins the race!  My daughter got married 5 weeks after my op so I forced myself to rest otherwise I knew I would be 'out of it' most of the day.  My flushes/night sweats started whilst still in hospital was given HRT patches but wanted body to settle before trying them, managed about 3 months but by then was back at work so needed help to function. Within 5 days of HRT had slept for more than few hours in one go.  Keep resting, eat well, short walks just be kind to yourself.

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 10:19:24 PM »

Hi,
You have had major surgery. You will feel ‘dodgy' for at least about 6 weeks, just from the surgery. General anaesthetic is pretty good as messing will your head too.
I know, I recently had my gall bladder out, by keyhole, all went well, but looking back I had 8 weeks of work and needed it.
The emotional rollercoaster post op is really weird- I was almost ‘grieving ‘ for my rancid gallbladder left behind at the hospital!!!, then stuff coming back into my mind that had been put to bed years ago- or so I thought.......
Now add to the post op having your hormones stopped overnight.... wow , I can't believe they didn't give you stuff , or at least the info pre op. My Oestrogen is in decline and that is bad enough, so I would have a crack at any hormones you are given, It will be trial and error , you will certainly have good and bad days, but it will work through.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 08:02:50 AM »

Group  :hug:  symptathy here in bucket loads  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 08:24:54 AM »

Annieb437 - welcome to MM

You have had big surgery which takes time to recover from - so be kind to yourself and get enough rest (if you can).  You definitely need the oestrogen for at least the next 10 years to protect you heart and bones for the longer term and if you do find you get flushes etc then you might need to increase the dose a bit. If you find the gel a nuisance to manage then do try Estrodot patches as many prefer these.  Using oestrogen transdermally as gel or patch is certainly the best option.

It is very natural to be anxious and feel tired after all you've been through.  Keep us posted.  DG x

Annieb437

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 11:59:49 AM »

I'm feeling good at the minute, now I don't know if its just because I'm resting and feeling better since surgery or the gel or what's going on but I'll take it when I can lol...maybe I went on the gel too soon,  maybe I could have managed for awhile without it..but now I don't want to stop it lol... Oh my poor head lol...gonna just stick with slow and steady and take each day as it comes..thks for ur replies folks,  much appreciated right now 🤗

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 12:03:23 PM »

Little steps. You have had major surgery. Years ago patients would have remained in hospital for at least 10 days! now they seem to be chucked out within hours  >:( .......