Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Blood test results  (Read 1209 times)

karenc1900

Blood test results
« on: July 03, 2019, 02:56:51 PM »

I have persuaded my GP to do a blood test for testosterone the result is <0.1 nmol/L, is this is low ? also my oestradiol level is 71 pmol/L I think this is low also ? My SHBG is normal at 39 g/L. I'm 54, have Mirena coil and Estrodot 75, although only increased from 50 about 6 weeks ago. Anybody have any advice about blood results ? Thank you..

Hurdity

Re: Blood test results
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 08:16:28 PM »

Hi there

That is low for T but tests for this hormone are not sensitive enough in women whose levels are often at the bottom end of the scale. Also what you need is also the SHBG in the same units in order to work out the Free Androgen Index - not sure how to convert from g/l to n mol/l - have looked it up but it's not obvious!

Your estradiol result seems low but depends when it was measured - morning or evening and where in patch change cycle too. It varies enormously. What are your symptoms? These are more important than blood results except that T needs monitoring if you start to replace it.

Hurdity x

karenc1900

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 09:12:29 PM »

Thank you for your reply Hurdity. The blood test was done at 9am on my patch day change, most of my Menopause symptoms have gone with Estrodot 50 but I still feel lethargic and sluggish so I increased my patch to 75 but this has not improved these symptoms When I looked up low T, I thought that sounds like me ! My Gp is not keen on T replacement but I managed to persuade her to do a blood test. I have also got another result, serum sex hormone binding glob as 59 nmol/L ? is this same as SHBG ?. I hope she will let me do a trail of T 🤞🏻 do you have experience of using T ? Thank you

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 09:17:01 AM »

Hi karenc1900

Yes that is SHBB (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin). That seems to be on the low side ( 59 nmol) but you need the T easurement to give the Free Androgen Index: https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/careers-and-training/mrcog-exam/mrcog-normal-ranges.pdf. However as I said T tests are insensitive at the low range - but from what you've said your FAI is very low and off th scale so if you are showing symptoms - notably low libido and unusual tredness and lethargy, muscle pain etc after exercise, then T replacement may well be helpful. I'm not sure how T replacement in women will interact with the (testosterone derived) levonorgestrel in the Mirena but it is definitely worth a try if you can persuade the doc to prescribe it.

Yes I've been using T since May 2015 - there is a long running thread in Private Lives section "Testosterone Here We Go" which might be of interest - or esle lots of threads on T if you go to the home page of the forum and do a search.

Let us know how you get on?

Hurdity x

karenc1900

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »

Thank you for this info Hurdity, I will check out that thread x