Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Support  (Read 960 times)

Jessica97

Support
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:13:33 PM »

I don't even know if I am posting in the correct place, this is my first time so please excuse me if I'm not doing this right.

So I'm 22 and I'm currently on Prostap injections, my consultant wants me to have these for 4 months before my hysterectomy.

I am really struggling to come to terms with the thought of all this and I'm just looking for some tips on how to cope with the hot flushes, constant headache and how I can get my head around this and also what else I should expect?

Thankyou
Jess x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Support
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 07:26:15 PM »

:o ....... your Consultant should be able to direct you to various groups that will support.  He should also discuss in detail about what HRT you will require at such a young age.  Do you have to rush into surgery?

There is a specific group - Daisy web-site - for girls with early menopause.

Can you save any eggs at all prior to surgery?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 07:57:30 PM »

Jessica I hope all goes well.  Here I am complaining about VA in my late sixties and here you are at 22 about to undergo a hysterectomy.   Puts things into perspective that there are so many YOUNG women having to deal with all sorts of issues that I never had to face.  I wish you well.  There are so many phenomenal ladies on this site that I'm sure you will get very helpful info. like CLKD just offered.

Jessica97

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 08:53:40 PM »

Thankyou both for the messages

Unfortunately my consultant hasn't been very useful with the support side of this treatment.

I am under a private consultant but she has sent a prescription for tablet form HRT to my GP- I am waiting for this.

Unfortunately this has been going on since I started my periods at 13, I have had over 13 antidepressants, hospitalisations, therapy literally everything they could offer me. I suffer from PMDD but unfortunately mine is serve for 3 weeks out of the 4 which is why the hysterectomy is my only option that is left.

As you can imagine at 22 I never thought I'd be making a decision like this and always thought I would have kids in the future.

The discussion about savings eggs hasn't even been had with my consultant and I feel a bit clueless about it all if I'm honest

Foxylady

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 08:59:40 PM »

jessica97, my heart goes out to you. CLKD is right the daisy network is a great resource, I found it useful myself (meno symptoms at 39yrs). You can have a search through the website if there are specific things you want more information on just go to the search box and see the relevant posts that come up. Also see if there is any support local to where you live, some GP surgeries are able to advise on this otherwise your gynae should be able to signpost you. Take care and be as knowledgeable as you can be about what's ahead of you, it really helps if you have some understanding of what to expect although of course everyone's experiences are different and what works for one doesn't mean it works for all. Take care x
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:01:48 PM by Foxylady »

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »

Dr Hannah Short is a GP accredited menopause expert who herself had to have a full hysterectomy at a young age due to PMDD may be worth a consult ( she's private but not over priced as she will “get it”) 😊

KiltedCupid

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 09:22:34 PM »

Hi Jessica97 - welcome to the forum. The ladies have given great advice and I'd only add that there's a couple of hysterectomy sites in the US that might help in terms of reading others' experiences. They're hystersisters and surmenoblog lists all the different hrt for surgical meno. There's lots of hrt options open to you so please explore them as fully as you can, you certainly don't have to endure debilitating symptoms from lack of hormones, so just keep asking.

All the very best.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 06:24:44 PM »

Hi Jessica97

:welcomemm:

So sorry to hear you are going through this at such a young age.

I really don't  want to presume that you haven't already looked into every possibility before considering hysterectomy but......

Which part of your natural cycle did you feel your best or feel OK? Have you had blood tests to look at how your oestrogen levels vary throughout the cycle? Have you tried the pill or any types of contraceptive pill (I'm sure you have!) - there are many different kinds. Also if you have PMDD a type of reproductive depression, have you come across the work of Prof John Studd who was a pioneer in the treatment of all forms of PMS, PMDD, PND etc with high doses of oestrogen to suppress the cycle? There have been several women on here who have been treated for this. I'm not talking about the peri and post-menopausal women who have consulted him but those who are young and fertile but sfefering in this way.

He is getting on a bit now (! - hope that's not too rude...) and extremely expensive but other clinics (like the Chelsea and Westminster - does NHS consultations) may also use these methods - depending where you are in UK? (Presuming UK!).

Are you having add back hormonal therapy while having the injections? Sorry just seen from your second post you are waiting for this. Would be interested to know which one....

Anyway here is the link to the Studd info:
https://www.studd.co.uk/pms_various.php

There are many other tabs and articles on reproductive depression on his website - that's just one of them - so if you haven't tried this treatment it might be worth considering before going down the route of a hysterectomy - although I am sure you will have already covered all the options. I hope you don't mind my questioning this but just thought if you haven't tried or come across this very different approach - it might be worth at least considering if you could hold off having a hysterectomy even for a few years. I was prompted to mention it because of your comment about having kids....

Hurdity x   :bighug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »

Dr Kath Dalton did lots of work in the 1980s/90s with premenstrual syndrome so you may like to drop by the National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome.  Make notes!

I had cyclic symptoms but for short days, usually 2/3 nights prior to a bleed.  I had problems in my 30s too, and was advised to eat every 3 hours to keep blood sugar levels even.  That is: every 3 hours, 24/ 7 ........  ::)

If your Consultant isn't helpful regarding HRT then ask for a referral to a menopause clinic, either via your GP or ask at the Daisy web-site.  Keep in touch here so that know how you get on.  Do consider if your eggs can be harvested, hysterectomy is Major Surgery but it should be discussed even if you aren't in a relationship right now. 

3 out of 4 weeks ain't any Life.  Do you feel that you are being rushed into surgery though  :-\.  Your GP should have been able to refer you for various discussions but may not be aware of daisy, NAPS etc.. 

Do you live with family?  Are you working etc.? 

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »

I'm so sorry you're in this position. IMO you need to be absolutely certain there are no other options before you go ahead with a hysterectomy. Apart from the physical problems with a very premature meno there's the huge issue of children. Harvesting eggs is better than nothing but there's no guarantee you can find a surrogate or that the eggs will develop. Are you absolutely confident in your consultant? I find it worrying he doesn't seem to have discussed the problems you might have afterwards. Do as much research as you can and get a second opinion if you need to but don't go ahead with it unless you're 100% certain it's the right thing to do.

Jessica97

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 10:02:45 PM »

Thank you all for your messages and support.

I really don't feel like anyone understands- family, friends, partner!

Today I have picked up my prescription for my HRT- they have prescribed Livial.

I'm a bit nervous to take these as it's kind of hit home now that this is all real.

How do you get through this?