Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: HRT or not? I am 43.  (Read 7082 times)

starchild76

• First Flush
HRT or not? I am 43.
« on: June 28, 2019, 03:22:52 PM »

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I am new to all this! For about a year, my periods have been irregular - sometimes every 2 weeks, sometimes every 8 weeks. There has been mid cycle bleeding and the periods have sometimes lasted up to 15 days.

I went to the GP and had an ultrasound (all fine), thyroid blood test (fine), bone density scan (fine), pelvic exam and swab (fine) and hormone bloods, which showed menopause was beginning or had begun.

The doctor is keen for me to go on HRT, but other than strange periods I am not sure I have extreme symptoms. I do think I am more anxious than I was 2 years ago and sometimes I am moody. I sometimes get bloated and occasionally nauseous, but that might be related to anxiety/stress. Anyway I'm trying to read up on HRT before an appointment with the GP next week and would appreciate hearing people's thoughts and experiences. It is so confusing!

Thanks  :)

Joaniepat

Re: HRT or not? I am 43.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 05:59:58 PM »

Hi starchild76,  :welcomemm:
Goodness, where did you find this paragon of a GP? You've had better care than most of us get when entering menopause!

My advice is not to wait until your symptoms get bad, but to start asap for the protective effects that oestrogen gives. It will protect your health for the future, especially heart, bones and (hopefully) urinary tract and genitalia, although the latter two cannot be guaranteed as many women eventually need local oestrogen for that area as well as systemic. (Not all, though.)

As I only have to use oestrogen I can't advise on anything containing progestogen, but there is information on the main menu under treatments and I'm sure others will be along to advise.

JP x

Jari

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 06:33:36 PM »

Hi starchild, welcome! :)

I'm afraid I will add to your confusion.

I have a completely opposite opinion to Joanie...

My honest experience and opinion is that if you take hormones to compensate for your naturally depleting hormones, then you are messing with what your body is naturally trying to do.

This will just delay your natural menopause, because you are fooling your body and keeping it falsely at a different level. When you then stop taking the hormones, your body will then of course start your delayed menopause. Hrt also brings all kinds of other awful side effects for a lot of people.

Everyone is so different, so, many women that decide to go on hrt, spend years and years trialling different hormones and different combinations, therefore really messing up their bodies. This then brings its problems later on.

Excercise, supplements and healthy eating is what your body needs at this phase to keep everything as balanced as possible.

That's my view. Hope it helps and doesn't confuse too much. Read up and go with what you feel is most sensible for you.

X

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 06:33:51 PM »

Hi Starchild76
The choice is yours really. If you think you are having symptoms go ahead and try hrt.
You can decide better when you've had a read around on here, but don't leave things to long
to start getting out of control. Joanipat is so right about the protective part of oestrogen, and the more oestrogen we loose, the worse the symptoms.
Have a browse around and look what's available for perimeno.
Good luck.......
 :welcomemm:

Jd xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 08:42:59 PM »

Hi starchild76 and welcome to mm

I had an early menopause and was fortunate to have a GP at the time that recommended HRT. I was experiencing exactly the same symptoms as you.  I am now 63 and stopped HRT 3 years ago and I am very grateful to that GP as I dread to think what I'd be like now if I hadn't used HRT. HRT is far from perfect but it can give you your life back.

Jari obviously had bad experiences with HRT and has clearly found a good way forward. She may be one of the lucky ones whose hormones have balanced out naturally giving her a slightly easier menopause ride. The menopause may be a ‘natural'  process but I'm afraid it is quite wrong to say that HRT is merely delaying the menopause and it certainly does not mess with the natural process. A hundred years ago you were lucky to live long enough to go through the menopause.  In the past women were put into asylums or deemed hysterics because of the effects of the menopause. Many simply became permanent invalids. 

As and when a women stops HRT you won't necessarily suffer badly but at least the negative effects of oestrogen deficiency will have been reduced.  Many find flushes etc subside quicker when they stop HRT if deeper into post menopause. The Menopause process will last between 3-8 years on average with some women experiencing flushes and night sweats for 20 years or more.  We all experience the menopause differently and there is no right or wrong - I believe you have been given very good advice by your GP because you are too young to be going through menopause and you have everything to gain and nothing to loose by trying HRT.
Yes, it can be trial and error before finding the right regime for you and what you use may need adjustment as your own hormones drop. You may also need local oestrogen to prevent atrophy. Having said that, HRT isn't for everyone but if your oestrogen levels are falling before the age of 50 then it is wise to supplement them with HRT for your long term health. HRT can not only help you through the peri menopause phase which will often result in great fluctuations in your hormones (which is why you are experiencing problems now) but it will give you that vital oestrogen that protects your heart and bones for the long term - no amount of exercise or good diet can compensate for oestrogen deficiency.
The lobby against HRT is still strong with many women feeling guilty that they are using HRT - many women feel a failure if they need HRT.
We must remember that quality of life is very important. I believe that trials have shown that 5 years of HRT in our 50s (when it is normal to go through menopause) will protect the heart and bones for the long term.
What many women don't know about are the problems with urogenital atrophy and this is very common when oestrogen levels drop. Even though I was on HRT I still developed atrophy in my mid 40s and it is deeply unpleasant - I dread to think how bad it would be now if i hadn't had HRT.
A good HRT type to try first might be Femoston 1/10 as it has one if the kinder progesterone types.
Keep us posted about your progress - we are here to support you. DG x

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 11:29:29 PM »

Ok. So here's my brief opinion. I'm 46, didn't think I had any peri symptoms, then had one of my ovaries removed a few months ago. I'm trialling HRT now.
Up until that point I had been on the minipill (for 12 years) to help with heavy periods. It is also an option for irregular periods. You can take the minipill up to age 55 (even if you carry a little extra weight, and/or smoke) as long as you don't have a history of blood clots.
Alternatives to taking a pill every day are the progesterone implant and the mirena coil.
Another option (if you are a healthy non-smoker) is one if the 2 newer forms of combined pill (I can't remember their names), which you can take up to age 50.
Then there is the HRT option and the natural option (manage symptoms as they occur, with life style changes, diet, exercise, supplements).
So there are lots of options,  depending on what you want to achieve. Lots to think about. The majority of these options can be tried and then changed if you don't like them. The exception is the mirena coil and progesterone implant, these are both more of a faff to get in and to get out again.
As has been said before, you seem to have a great GP.  So work out what you would like to do, and then listen to the guidance they give you.
Best, Pants.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:34:09 AM by pants46 »

Jari

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 10:16:37 AM »

Dancing girl is correct that I had very bad side effects to hrt, which I tried for 2.5 months. It made me realise how powerful it is and what damage it can do. I wrongly rushed into it. A simple example would be, if you have a headache coming on, do you run to take headache pills or do you stop and think. Most headaches are due to dehydration, so perhaps drink some water first....before rushing for the pills. Of course, if it develops into a bad headache and the rehydration doesn't help, then think about the pills. For me, it's the same in this case.
I definitely think instead of rushing for hrt, give some thought to diet etc.. realise that, yes, you may have some hot flushes etc, but you may be one of the many where these symptoms will ease and pass.
If you go the hrt route immediately, then you won't know if you are one of those and will end up on hrt for decades, too worried to come off it, because when you do, you will get the same hot flushes etc as your hormones decline.
I am not having an easy ride as I have had bad hot flushes/night sweats and stiff joints, but these have definitely eased... I take good supplements and try to excercise as much as I can.
I'm finding that black cohosh may well be helping with hot flushes. Still trialling it. Have taken it for 3 weeks so far.

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »

I have been Lucky.

Maybe keep a mood/symptom/food diary for 4-6 months, in the mean time discuss with the GP the many ways of administering HRT - a good diet, regular exercise etc. as suggested is important anyway.  I walked 2-5 miles daily for many years  :scottie: in all weathers  :D.  When we went on holiday to The Lakes, it was a lot more miles every day, plus hills and Dales.  I never felt it necessary to ask for HRT.

Hormone replacementTherapy ;-).  My oestrogen levels dropped naturally in that my periods waxed and waned for 3-4 years.  I knew that I was in The Change but didn't have flushes for very long, those were mainly after my evening bath  ::).  I did get vaginal atrophy much later on so do read the threads a bout that one: forewarned is forearmed.

HRT doesn't have to be for ever.  It can be more trouble than it is worth if a lady isn't 'suffering' too much.  It's a personal choice if symptoms aren't interrupting sleep or daily routines - so decide whether you need to alter your diet, up your exercise etc.. 

As oestrogen levels drop off muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Also the body may become dry: inside and out  :o :o  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 01:00:20 PM »

Jari - you make some good points, however, as starchild76 is so young it is still advised that HRT should be given - it's not just the menopausal symptoms that HRT reduces, it is more about maintaining oestrogen levels which are so important for maintaining the bones, heart and urogenital health. 
It is a great shame you struggled with HRT and I hope you didn't experience an early menopause as it can be very difficult to protect your heart and bones if deficient in oestrogen before the normal age of menopause (52-54) - do have a bone scan just in case.   

Even when using HRT it is extremely important to look at lifestyle and improve your diet and exercise as much as possible.

Do be careful of Black Cohosh as this should not be taken long term and I would take professional advice about taking any alternative remedy that could have toxic effects.  Unfortunately many use herbal and other remedies believing they are safe when in fact they should be approached with caution.   Have you tried Red Clover - I take this in the hope it will help my bones and heart.

The peri meno stage can be very tricky as your own hormones will fluctuate in the background causing highs and lows.  I believe that starting on a very low dose is sensible and only increase if after 3 months the symptoms haven't eased.  Sadly some women do struggle with progesterone but there are different types to try and unless you have been through at least 3months on any HRT type you can't tell whether your body is benefiting or not.  Like all treatments, it is about the benefits versus the side effects.

All I know is that I had to try various regimes before finding one that suited me and then I stuck with this for 10 years.  HRT got me through some very tough times bringing up my children and coping with a hectic life. I took a break for 3 years in my early 50s and struggled greatly with sleep deprivation - so I went back on HRT for another 4 -5 years and then decided to stop HRT when I reached 60 and life was less frantic. I'm afraid the menopause is not something you 'go through', it is a permanent state and some women do better than others.  For me the worst symptoms are the sleep deprivation, lack of energy, loss of self esteem, horrible headaches and joint problems but I now structure my life around coping with all this: Mindfulness, Pilates, a good diet, lots of brisk walking and generally pacing myself. I do use Vagifem regularly and will do so of the rest of my life as the UTI type symptoms, burning etc. are truly horrible.

Using HRT is a personal choice but an early menopause should receive medical management.  I get very cross when young women who are experiencing an early menopause are just told to ‘ride the storm' - I believe this is professional negligence, as not treating an early menopause could cause awful long term problems.

I hope your finding this discussion helpful starchild76.  DG x

Foxylady

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 02:01:31 PM »

here here dancinggirl, well said, I agree 100% (aged 41yrs and peri, on HRT). I had 3 years of awful symptoms and told repeatedly couldn't be menopausal as blood test normal (my OH asked Endocrinologist how reliable are they and told 100%), I believe original GP, Endo and Immunology have been negligent in my care & just pray it has not had a significant impact on my long term heart & bone health. It was actually a relief for me to get diagnoses & (appropriate) treatment. Did think of pursuing it, but don't have the energy, which I know is not good enough for others benefit I should complain.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 02:06:36 PM »

Don't take on the Medical Profession: Life is too short to stuff a mushroom ;-)

It comes down to GPs not being up-2-date with what is required.  No lady is too early into menopause - some girls never have a period, some have 1/2 then nowt.  Some ladies start The Change 'earlier than expected' but no one is every 'too' early.  If a GP believes that then they should be doing tests to see exactly why!!

Let us know how you get on!  All experiences are welcome as they are education as we go along, something to take to the next lot of GPs ;-)

Jari

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »

DG, thanks for your very good points. I was post menopausal by age 49. Never had any peri menopausal symptoms until age 48, when the hot flushes/night sweats started, so I guess you would class me as having had an early menopause. With my family breast cancer history I have been very much warned off hrt, because they were estrogen receptive breast cancers (as are 80% of BC) therefore as the cancer thrives off estrogen and hrt is estrogen, it's obviously not advisable.

I'm not sure what I could be doing about bone density as you feel that might be a problem due to my early menopause... I think I will see my GP and ask for a bone density scan!? Is that something the NHS will do? Do you know what is involved in a BD scan? I would definitely be keen to know if my bones are affected and therefore what I should be taking for that.

Thank you! X

Jari

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 04:55:02 PM »

Ps... just out of interest, I just looked up about bone density scans on the NHS site under osteoporosis. It says that osteoporosis might happen if you have early menopause ( which they class as under 45 ) and also if you've had ovaries removed.

So they wouldn't class me as having had early menopause, but I will still ask about a bone density scan as this would be interesting. X

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »

Ps... just out of interest, I just looked up about bone density scans on the NHS site under osteoporosis. It says that osteoporosis might happen if you have early menopause ( which they class as under 45 ) and also if you've had ovaries removed.

So they wouldn't class me as having had early menopause, but I will still ask about a bone density scan as this would be interesting. X
I recommend having it done. I have had 2 such scans since 2015. In 2015 it was following a wrist fracture but was ok. Then i had it done again last December as a check because of menopause. I had very mild osteopenia so now (at 56)  I am trying patches  to prevent that getting worse and also to help with VA and aching joints.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 05:24:33 PM »

Initially I had bone scans on the feet/ankles - provided through the Works' Insurance Cover in the 1990s.  I was told to up my diet but the diet sheet covered everything we already ate  ::) 'so up your exercise'  ???.  The best place for a scan apparently is pelvis and hips, that being the densist [sp] area. 

Speak to your GP and ask if it's available in your area?  If you are covered by a Health Scheme it may be possible through that.  I had mine done a few years ago and there was no evidence of problems. 

Good diet, brisk walking every day ........ lots of sunshine  ::) but maybe not until this evening?
Pages: [1] 2 3