Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Blood Pressure Monitor  (Read 2311 times)

katsclaws

Blood Pressure Monitor
« on: August 09, 2019, 09:49:13 AM »

Please can anyone recommend a home blood pressure monitor.
It's pointless going to my GP as I suffer from white coat syndrome.
I had a stereotactic breast biopsy a few days ago and my blood pressure was very high. The nurse looking after me said it would come down after the procedure but it didn't. I have a total fear of hospitals and GPs. My last visit to my GP was five and a half years ago.

Taz2

Re: Blood Pressure Monitor
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:47:56 AM »

If you go onto the blood pressure UK site there is a list of monitors which are endorsed by the medical profession. I've got one but can't remember which one and not at home at the moment.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »

We bought one from Boots.  DH used it at the same time every day, i.e. B4 breakfast.  The idea is to take 3 readings with a small gap between each.   I don't measure on it at all  ;D

DH has white coat syndrome.  At his yearly check up he took his BP 3 weeks prior to the appt. and handed the results to the Nurse.  Job Done.

When will you get the results?  I don't expect your GP to go back to 'normal' until you have news. 

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 11:26:43 AM »

I use a Omron one, my GP was happy with my choice and they use same make in my surgery.
Always buy an upper arm cuff one, you can get a basic one on Amazon for around £25, you don't need an all bells and whistles one!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »

I think mine's an Omron. It's important to have whichever one you buy calibrated every so often at the doctor's surgery.

Taz x

katsclaws

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 03:16:27 PM »

Thanks Taz2 for that website recommendation. I've had a look.
Thanks Tinkerbell, I've just been looking on Amazon. A basic one will be just fine as I don't want to download results etc. I think I will buy an Omron.
Hello CLKD, if you don't measure on your Boots Blood Pressure monitor does that mean you have low blood pressure. Please don't answer if that is too personal. I was told that I would be sent a results appointment for 7-10 days time so probably mid- August.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 03:55:35 PM »

Nowts too personal.  I take Propranolol to stop anxiety surges.  In the Surgery it's OK.  On the home monitor it doesn't recognise me  ;D

We have never considered calibrating with the surgery machine.  The readings are OK as far as GP is concerned. 

The surgery waiting room has a monitor to use but I think that is far too open, why would I want anyone to see me using a machine in public  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »

You have to calibrate every so often to get a true reading. Uncalibrated monitors, according to my GP, give lower readings. It would have given the time interval in the instruction booklet. Worth doing if you want accuracy

Taz x

katsclaws

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 07:13:23 PM »

CLKD, my husband had eye surgery at a private hospital and the nurse took blood pressure measurements from patients in the waiting room before they went in for surgery. No privacy at all.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 07:14:04 PM »

That is so unprofessional  :o ....... bet no one said anything though?

katsclaws

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 07:16:34 PM »

No they didn't CLKD, which is quite surprising given how much we were paying for husband's surgery.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 07:30:32 PM »

When DH had private surgery both the Surgeon and Aneasthetist walked in, spoke and examined him and ignored me  >:(.  He did have a lovely Norwegian Nurse though  :D

katsclaws

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 07:32:03 AM »

How rude.! Smiled at Norwegian nurse comment.