Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: I'm v depressed and hrt exacerbates this;do SERMs work differently?  (Read 1225 times)

vintagefiend

Please help!
I'm very depressed primarily due to meno but when I take HRT (and i've tried just oestrogen as well as combined) i feel even worse if that's possible.
I've had a chemical meno in the past which was horrible and i feel exactly like that now.
I don't know what to do- I'm really low and despairing and going to my shit gp seems monumental.
i am on venlafaxine fairly high dose but don't feel it's working.
i need something- either different anti-dep or i don't know what
i've seen a bit about SERMs (tamoxifen/raloxifene) and wondered if they would work differently than hrt.
i'm so tired, my joints ache and i feel miserable- i'm sure i'm feeling the ill effects of zero oestrogen but don't know how to combat this.
I'm 47- no periods 6 months- bloods show no oestrogen and negligible testosterone.

racjen

Hi vintagefiend, I'm really sorry not to be able to offer you any advice about this - I'm going thru chemical menopause myself at the moment so I really sympathise - it's absolutely awful, I feel suicidal at times and HRT/ADs/anti-anxiety drugs just don't work. My cancer was triple negative so I have no idea about the effects of tamoxifen, but most of the stuff I've heard about it hasn't been good.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Tamoxifen almost killed me and is generally used for those who have been treated for cancer.  Not a drug I would think would suit menopausal symptoms  :-\

Go back to your GP?  Is there a menopause clinic within travelling distance?

vintagefiend

Hi there
thanks ladies-
i'm sorry that you've had such a rough time, RACJEN, i haven't has cancer to deal with- i just wondered about SERMs as an alternative to exogenous oestrogen- I do not understand why HRT doesn't work for us- it was the same when I had chemical meno- eventually my own hormones returned (obvs after i stopped the zoladex)- but this time around i don't have any oestrogen left.
Hi CKLD - yeah i'm prob grasping at straws- just spent a small fortune on a variety of supplements too! i don't even believe in homeopathy!
i was thinking of RALOXIFENE specifically as i think it's been used for osteoporosis prevention and treatment so is used outside of oncology.
and i've read some prob v small evidence that it might improve mood.
i am going to GPs tomorrow- thanks again, ladies x

CLKD

Why would anyone want to take a drug that can be quite powerful which lessens oestrogen production  :-\

vintagefiend

Hi CKLD I think i might have misunderstood its function!
back to the drawing board :)

CLKD

Do let me know!  Every day is a learning curve. 

vintagefiend

Thank you x