Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: How Can I Tell If I'm Ovulating ?  (Read 1079 times)

pants46

• Still Struggling
How Can I Tell If I'm Ovulating ?
« on: June 22, 2019, 11:27:49 PM »

So (as a lot of you know) I had one ovary removed end of Jan. Up to then I hadn't had any peri symptoms (that I knew of), I am 46 and had been on the minipill for 12 years, so no periods.
I started HRT (Evorel Sequi half patches) 10 weeks ago. And I stopped the minipill after 4 weeks.
I'm struggling with the HRT if I'm honest. I started taking it to help with the anxiety that came on within days of having my ovary removed. The ADs I've been on haven't worked, so I'm weaning off them.
Since starting the HRT I seem to have had more physical symptoms. I get hot down my back most of the day, and hot thighs at night (to the extent that I'm getting a heat rash), chills and fatigue to name a few.
Anyway, my Gynae said (at the time of the surgery), I wouldn't go into menopause as my remaining ovary would kick in.

So my question is - is there a way to work out if my other ovary is working, without coming off the HRT ?

The HRT won't stop me ovulating will it ? (I know the minipill can reduce ovulation, which is why I came off it).

I don't really want to come off the HRT without knowing whether my other ovary is working.
Anyone got any ideas ? Would the ovulation tests for fertility work ?
Thanks.
Pants.

Rosie77

Re: How Can I Tell If I'm Ovulating ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 10:26:21 AM »

Hi pants,  The pill shuts down ovulation as it acts as contraception, HRT will not. When I am ovulating, I get a sticky milky mucous, so I am always wearing a panty liner...and feel more “frisky”. Last year when my periods were 21 days apart it happened often.  Kind of the bodies last ditch effort to get pregnant.  I have ovulated and not had a period too or just barely spotted.  I am on HRT, take progesterone days 1-14 and still ovulate most months.  Also, I normally get more fatigued/dizzy than usual, migraines, a twinge of pain on my ovary (I have both, so it switches).  Lovely being a woman  :-\
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:28:07 AM by Rosie77 »

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 01:18:02 AM »

Thanks Rosie. I am so uneducated about all this stuff. I guess knowing that I didn't want kids from an early age, meant I didn't have to learn about it. I've also been on either the combined BCP or the minipill all my life, so my natural cycles have been supressed all this time.
I don't think I ever feel frisky. 12 years of celibacy (by choice) means I get more excited by a chocolate digestive !!
I will keep an eye out for twinges (although I may get that confused with wind  ;) ) and the mucus thing.
I'm wondering whether tracking my temperature might be a good idea as well ? That's what women trying to get pregnant do, isnt it ?
Should have been born a boy  :(

Rosie77

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 11:54:00 AM »

Thanks Rosie. I am so uneducated about all this stuff. I guess knowing that I didn't want kids from an early age, meant I didn't have to learn about it. I've also been on either the combined BCP or the minipill all my life, so my natural cycles have been supressed all this time.
I don't think I ever feel frisky. 12 years of celibacy (by choice) means I get more excited by a chocolate digestive !!
I will keep an eye out for twinges (although I may get that confused with wind  ;) ) and the mucus thing.
I'm wondering whether tracking my temperature might be a good idea as well ? That's what women trying to get pregnant do, isnt it ?
Should have been born a boy  :(

Indeed!  I have pondered “gender reassignment” myself ;D. Me too was on BCP from age 20-40, stopped only twice to have my kids late 20s.  Went off at 40 and have been a disaster ever since. On HRT for 3 months but getting discouraged.