Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT for better sleep  (Read 1683 times)

Letmein

HRT for better sleep
« on: June 05, 2019, 06:14:57 AM »

Has anyone taken HRT mainly to improve sleep, and if so, have you found that it has helped? Or are you taking it for other reasons and found your sleep to be vastly improved? if so, can I ask which treatment you are taking?

I had a really bad time with perimenopause a couple of years ago, but things have setlled now that I have passed the 12 months without a period. I still get some symptoms but I can put up with them. The one thing that is still impacting on my life is my poor sleep, which is resulting in brain fog, concentration problems, and of course the lack of energy. I have tried absolutely everything, and I really mean everything! I tried HRT for three months last year, but it made no difference to my sleep at all and if anything I felt much worse on it. I was on Evorel and Utrogestan. I've now been to the GP who prescribed Femoston conti but I can't get myself to try it due to the poor previous experience.

allie007

Re: HRT for better sleep
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 06:42:36 PM »

Hi Letmein
For me i have found using Estrogel has helped depending on what time I apply it. I try to apply it before 8, if I do I usually sleep right through most nights If i apply it much after that I find that I fall asleep ok but I wake early hours.
Its taken me a while to find that out though 😔

Foxylady

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »

Letmein

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 06:38:56 AM »

Hi Foxylady, the link didn't work for me. I meant to thank you allie for your advice.

I've tried Femoston and lasted only a couple of weeks! Sleep got much worse during that time, and overall fell much worse. I know it takes at least 3 months to settle, but I just don't have it in me to go 3 months of complete lack of sleep when last time I tried another brand, I still wasn't sleeping better 3 months on.

I've come to the acceptance that proper sleep is a luxury I'll have to wait to be completely over the menopause to rediscover!

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 07:43:14 AM »

That's really strange Letmein I'm currently trialling femoston and I'm sleeping like a log.

I think the thing is your own individual response. I have always slept well on the progesterone part of any hrt I've tried, it just seems to have that effect on me (sedative).

I realise this probably doesn't help you and I sympathise (I couldn't cope without sleep either), but it's a trial and error thing to find what works for you x

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 07:44:21 AM »

Hi Foxylady, the link didn't work for me. I meant to thank you allie for your advice.

I've tried Femoston and lasted only a couple of weeks! Sleep got much worse during that time, and overall fell much worse. I know it takes at least 3 months to settle, but I just don't have it in me to go 3 months of complete lack of sleep when last time I tried another brand, I still wasn't sleeping better 3 months on.

I've come to the acceptance that proper sleep is a luxury I'll have to wait to be completely over the menopause to rediscover!
I am sleeping much better since I started using Vagifem to prevent recurrent UTI's. Even when I didn't have a UTI, I still woke up needing the loo at least once most nights. That has much improved.

JCH187

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »

I started Femoston 1/10 nearly 5 weeks ago and lack of sleep was my main issue. No improvement yet unfortunately.

Foxylady

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 05:24:24 PM »

Letmein, It's also known as a turmeric latte, try copying and pasting it. I tried it lastnight with green top milk (didn't have almond milk and take magnesium supplement anyway). I would say I did have a better quality sleep and woke later than in the last week, going to try it again tonight!! Not the most palitable drink but if it work its worth the ugh factor!! ;D

GJP

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 12:34:55 PM »

Hi Letmein
For me i have found using Estrogel has helped depending on what time I apply it. I try to apply it before 8, if I do I usually sleep right through most nights If i apply it much after that I find that I fall asleep ok but I wake early hours.
Its taken me a while to find that out though 😔

Hi Allie,

Do you mind me asking do you take Utrogestan as well and if so what dose?

My main menopausal symptom is insomnia and I am on Oestrogel 3 pumps and my Utrogestan is now 300mgs orally daily at night.( has been that for the last 3 weeks) I am post menopausal.

I was told to apply the Oestrogel in the morning but following your comment tried it in the evening last night. My sleep was a little better but still awake 4-5 times. Although I slept later

My blood results 4 weeks ago showed my Oest and Prog levels were rock bottom.

Most people would be flat out with the amount of Utrogestan I am taking.

Last week things were so bad that I had to resort to Nytol for a couple of nights as well which was fine for 1 night but by the next dose I was spaced and could barely function.

My Dr is using Nick Panay's regime as she has worked with him.

I am due for review in a couple of weeks time

Up until this insomnia kicked in in menopause I rarely struggled with tiredness.

Any advice/wisdom would be appreciated. I can't work at the minute as am too tired. There are days when I have to take to the settee as I cannot survive on 3 hrs sleep.