Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Excessive sleep!  (Read 3977 times)

misshuckleberry

Excessive sleep!
« on: June 22, 2019, 01:57:37 PM »

I know that almost all of the sleep-related  issues have to do with insomnia and not enough sleep,  but I have the opposite problem:  I find that I need 9, 10, or 11 hours of sleep every night or I am completely exhausted.  And for the most part, I sleep like a rock!

Some background:  I am 52 and perimenopausal. I still have pretty regular periods, though some months I have gone 40- 50 days between in the last year.  The other issue is that about five years ago, I sustained a spinal cord injury and I am a “walking paraplegic,”  and I walk with much difficulty with  crutches so  my days are pretty tiring anyway. Over the last year, though, the fatigue has been unreal,   coinciding with the perimenopause.

Has anyone else experienced a need for almost constant sleep?  I cannot remember the last time I felt refreshed when I woke up, even if it was after 11 hours, 9 hours, etc.  I sleep like a rock and wake up feeling like a rock— which is the only way I can think to describe it!

jaypo

Re: Excessive sleep!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 02:05:47 PM »

Hi there ,welcome to the forum
Do you take supplements at all?or been checked by gp?blood tests etc?
Maybe you need iron if you are so tired but I guess it must be exhausting getting around on crutches 😟

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Excessive sleep!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 03:41:59 PM »

Has your GP done a complete blood works? i.e. VitD levels, iron deficiency?

1 shouldn't blame everything on menopause.  2 years ago I suddenly got tired I would do 20 mins. weeding on hands and knees then sit for 2 hours.  Absolutely still.  No energy at all.  Found out it was low VitD levels.

:welcomemm: