Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Telogen Effluvium (hair shed, tingling scalp) driving me nuts (again)!  (Read 2023 times)

Night_Owl

Hi - anybody with TE / AA?

From past visits to Trichologists I know that I'm susceptible to Telogen Effluvium and also Androgenic Alopecia (Female Pattern Hair Loss), scalp is sensitive to Dihydrotestosterone (all happened since my periods stopped 13 years ago) - strong genetic connection on maternal side of family.  And there is not much that can be done about it. 

UGH!

Tried many different shampoos, lotions, etc - all to no (expensive) avail.

I'm going through *yet another* episode of TE - this time the tingling scalp and shedding seems to be driving me more crazy than usual! 

After many years of trying different types of HRT, I threw in the towel and stopped ALL HRT last October - as it was making migraines worse - hyper-responsive to *any* hormonal fluctuations.

I recently did a re-load of Vagifem - I know it affects me systemically and suspect the miniscular fluctuation created has triggered the TE flare.  Or it may have happened anyway - who the hell knows.  Somehow my biochemistry does not seem to process HRT hormones as it should - ie. what helps other women will create the opposite effect in me.

So I'm asking anybody out there - when you're having a flare - have you found anything that soothes the tingling? 

It's hard to keep mentally stable when you're losing 300+ hairs a day, more than 10 hairs come out at a time if you try to comb - you find it strewn *everywhere* about the house ... kitchen worktops ...

I get it just on the top left side of scalp.  Read conflicting reports re: Emu Oil.  Just another snake oil?  Essential oils?  Get so tired of being vulnerable to the lure of these products that do nothing.

Sorry to be negative - just speaking how it is.

Grateful for any shared experience comments on these awful conditions, triggered by menopause.

J x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Constant itching is the pits!   My dog had mange - weeks B4 it was diagnosed and she itched where the mite was burrowing, all night all day. She was treated with baths which smelt like she was covered in creosote.  Sorry.  I digress.

Lack of oestrogen can cause the skin to dry.  Do you find yourself scratching in your sleep, if so, maybe wear mittens to lessen the possibility of 2ndary infection.  As 4 hair shedding - a bit left field but if you had all your hair shaved would that help, allowing you to massage gently with or without oils?  Is the shedding caused by internal upsets or due to the skin begin really dry?

Trevor Sorbet the hairdresser makes wigs for people suffering hair loss due to cancer treatments.  Again left field but maybe reading his web-site might give clues as to how those people cope ........ if they use oils as massage to help any discomfort?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

How have you been today?

jaycee

Hi, i have recently been having this problem, but more like bald patches from the crown down,
Started with my head itching,and in fact itching all over,
I woke up one morning with my arm covered in deep scratches,my Dr has given me some steroid lotion, and i believe it can help with hair regrowth, from what i have been told by people who have also been prescribed it,might be worth asking your GP at least might stop the itching