Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1758 times)

Patches

• First Flush
Hello!
« on: June 13, 2019, 10:52:47 AM »

Hi everyone!

After a couple of years of lurking I have finally done it and registered.

I think I have been peri-menopausal for over 10 years now, its just been creeping on gradually with me not really realising what was happening!  It took a change in menstruation pattern and a bit of research to realise the itchy skin, slight hair thinning, concentration problems and mood swings were actually related and natural - I am not on my way to the funny farm or totally allergic to every washing powder on the market!  :gym: :gym: :gym:

I am now in a lull from the brain fog but the hot flushes and sleep disturbances have arrived, thankfully not as bad as many.

I see myself as lucky that the effects I am feeling, as annoying as they can be, are happening gradually letting me get used them before they step up another level.  The downside is this doesn't look like I will come through the other side anytime soon.

My Mum went into surgical menopause when I was too young to realise what was happening, she split from Dad soon after which meant a lot of what she was going through I was told was due to this huge life change.  I lost mum over 15 years ago so can't talk to her about it and of my sisters, one has dementia and can't remember yesterday, the other has turned 70 and although not dementing her memory is suspect from time to time. I am the 'baby' of the family at 54.

This forum has been a god send as my Doctors, helpful as they try to be are next to useless!

Keep it up everyone, you are my lifeline to sanity!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:01:56 AM »

:welcomemm:  you'll fit right in  ;)

Do read our threads on vaginal atrophy  :o  ::) - make notes  ;)

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 12:30:06 PM »

Hi patches and welcome to the funny farm,plenty answers for any questions you may have,nothing taboo xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:46:15 PM »

Hello Patches...( my OH loves that song..)  ::)

Ask away, have a moan, whatever you like, someone's always on to offer support and advice.
I'm 54 too. Not that, that has anything to do with anything..😂🤣
As you'll see, some of us are pretty barmy, but we have a laff.

Keep posting...

Jd xx
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:07:45 PM by jillydoll »

Patches

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 03:48:10 PM »

Thank you for the welcome!

Jilly, barmy??? really? everyone seems normal to me! ;D

CLKD - I checked that one out a while back, it does explain some things!!!

Jaypo -  I think I may have been living in the funny farm for a few years now! How on earth people are coping with me heaven only knows - thank goodness for a sense of humour!!

I've just had a phone call from my boss! it seems the brain fog and impaired memory have a lot to answer for!!!  ::) :'(

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 04:38:44 PM »

Time to explain then?

Patches

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 12:33:11 PM »

CLKD - Sorry for the late reply, I'm popping in and out between tasks at work.  ;)

Re the VA.  I seem to have a persistent low level UTI, more or less controlled by D-mannose which also takes away the pain I assume is in my kidneys ... Checked by the doctors and treated with anti b's.  Personally I'm not keen on repeatedly taking them, especially if something else will do without wrecking my immune system!  Also some discomfort, dryness, increased yellowish discharge and my libido packed up and ran off with the circus!

After reading other peoples experiences I realise my symptoms are pretty minor. 

I had a long appointment with our practice nurse - this is who I was directed to when I asked about seeing someone about possibly being in the menopause - we had a long chat and she reassured me that I wasn't going crazy and was definitely meno.  However our surgery policy is no HRT till you've not had a bleed for 12 months.  Its the third time I have been told this.

So I've figured as long as I can cope I will try to just get through but they will know soon enough if it gets too much!  Until then I am trying Menopase, lots of soya products and trying to see the funny side.  Interestingly I feel more alert since starting on the soya .... we will see.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 12:41:50 PM »

Go back to your GP and ask for appropriate treatment for vaginal atrophy?  Explain that this is due to a drop in oestrogen and becomes worse, making it harder to treat, the longer it's left ;-).  Lay it on thick!!  Many don't understand VA  >:( - take a copy of MaryJane's book, 'me and my menopausal vagina' along too .......

I don't understand this attitude, other than it's passing the buck and saving money!!  As periods wax and wane but symptoms can occur at any time  :-\.  I would be shoving MM at them, big time!

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 10:40:57 PM »

CLKD - Sorry for the late reply, I'm popping in and out between tasks at work.  ;)

Re the VA.  I seem to have a persistent low level UTI, more or less controlled by D-mannose which also takes away the pain I assume is in my kidneys ... Checked by the doctors and treated with anti b's.  Personally I'm not keen on repeatedly taking them, especially if something else will do without wrecking my immune system!  Also some discomfort, dryness, increased yellowish discharge and my libido packed up and ran off with the circus!

After reading other peoples experiences I realise my symptoms are pretty minor. 

I had a long appointment with our practice nurse - this is who I was directed to when I asked about seeing someone about possibly being in the menopause - we had a long chat and she reassured me that I wasn't going crazy and was definitely meno.  However our surgery policy is no HRT till you've not had a bleed for 12 months.  Its the third time I have been told this.

So I've figured as long as I can cope I will try to just get through but they will know soon enough if it gets too much!  Until then I am trying Menopase, lots of soya products and trying to see the funny side.  Interestingly I feel more alert since starting on the soya .... we will see.
I am 56 and have had recurrent apparent UTI 's over a long period.  Now much better after using Vagifem for 9 months. Also  now Evorel patches as well to further relieve the VA.  Do you often have trips to the loo during the night?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »

Urine infections can be diagnosed by a fresh sample sent to a LAB for appropriate growing.  Often infections mimic vaginal atrophy really really well!

Patches

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 03:24:08 PM »

Hi all, sorry for the late response .... life has a habit of sweeping me along from time to time.

Katejo - absolutely!!! yes, sometimes twice a night but since starting the D-Mannose its not so bad and my urine doesn't smell as bad, meaning I don't either!

CLKD - I am thinking of asking for vagifem, the extra boost I'm getting from the menopase and soya makes me hopeful things can improve!