Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: What are the nexts steps on from Vagifem?  (Read 1412 times)

Waitykaty

What are the nexts steps on from Vagifem?
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »

I've been searching to try to find some sort of treatment ladder.
I had a look at ‘burning club' thread. I'm burning!
Vagifem helped my soreness so well ( it felt like a UTI but wasn't) but then it stopped working. I did I a reloading dose. But now it's stopped working altogether even though I'm on it daily.

I also use Balance Activ moisturiser.

I need to go back to my GP and I'd like to go with information.

She suggested Femosten 1/10

Vagifem worked in a few days.
It gave me my life back.  I sound like a drug addict!

Does style fact Vagifem stopped working means I'm more menopausal? I'm 50. Still having periods until 2 months ago.

Is there a treatment ladder?

What's next?
Thanks so much.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What are the nexts steps on from Vagifem?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »

It shouldn't stop completely.

Initially it was 25, now it's 10.  So maybe try two doses at once for 3/4 nights? Some ladies require full HRT so hopefully someone will be along with advice.  It is suggested that 'sylc' and 'yes' products can help too.

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »

Waitykaty

This may answer it all, I am Jane Lewis & I did a video with NHS/ Private GP menopause expert Dr Renee.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5oi4wVewMjQ&feature=youtu.be

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »

Balance Activ is not a vaginal moisturiser,
so I would suggest you stop that and use a product formulated for this purpose. The Yes products are best, either Yes VM or Yes OB. Some people like Sylk.

There's no reason I know of why Vagifem should stop working. Systemic HRT might help, but then again it might not make any difference. Many ladies need both, but with VA, targetted treatment is the main thing.

I think the Balance Activ may be unnecessary and be irritating you.The vaginal microbiome doesn't necessarily need this intervention unless you are absolutely sure it is out of whack.

JP x

Waitykaty

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 12:51:08 PM »

Thanks all

Maryjane ( don't know if I can tag you?)

I have your book on order from Amazon! I can't cope with kindles, I'm waiting  for a physical book!

I'm at work so can't watch the video now. I will look tonight. Thanks

Ow, ow , ow!

Will look for a different moisturiser.  I am not actually dry during sex , so at least that's one part that's not conked out yet.

And the think I was looking forward to Menopause as it meant no periods. Nobody told me there was a list of other things!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 01:47:09 PM »

Can't tag on here ;-)

You got caught like the rest of us, thinking it was literally the end of periods with a few hot flushes, maybe.  However!

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 02:31:22 PM »

I've been searching to try to find some sort of treatment ladder.
I had a look at ‘burning club' thread. I'm burning!
Vagifem helped my soreness so well ( it felt like a UTI but wasn't) but then it stopped working. I did I a reloading dose. But now it's stopped working altogether even though I'm on it daily.

I also use Balance Activ moisturiser.

I need to go back to my GP and I'd like to go with information.

She suggested Femosten 1/10

Vagifem worked in a few days.
It gave me my life back.  I sound like a drug addict!

Does style fact Vagifem stopped working means I'm more menopausal? I'm 50. Still having periods until 2 months ago.

Is there a treatment ladder?

What's next?
Thanks so much.
How long had you been using Vagifem when it appeared to 'stop working'? Mine occasionally seems less effective for a few days and the internal soreness/hip ache returns and I need to go to the loo during the night. I had a relapse like this last week. For a couple of days I dissolved a small half teaspoon of bicarb of soda in water and drank it. The symptoms cleared quickly and haven't  returned yet. I also used an extra Vagifem in the morning as well as the evening once or twice.

Waitykaty

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 06:04:24 PM »

CLKD - I know. It appears I have joined a club I don't want to be in!

Katejo - Vagifem for about a year? I have repeated the loading dose about twice, but I've tried a daily dose now for a month or two and I'm getting worse.

The symptoms seem to have increased around the time my periods vanished. I've gone 2 months without one now.  Which I would think would be fabulous but not if it puts me in the “ burning club”

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 06:23:53 PM »

Maybe you are sensitive to the fillers?  How about trying 'ovestin'?

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 07:41:32 PM »

Hi WaityKaty

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear you are burning - great that you are still OK with sex though :). As has been said already it may be that you need systemic HRT as well because your oestrogen levels have dropped - many of us need both - I'm one of them. Re the fillers and what might be causing the burning - I would just change one thing at a time to see if it helps eg as Joaniepat suggested try a vaginal moisturiser first before thinking about changing your vaginal oestrogen.

Good idea to try Femoston anyway if you are having any other menopausal symptoms as well?

Another alternative when you have tried different options is the Estring which is a removable silicone ring that releases estradiol directly to your vagina and only needs renewing every 3 months. You can insert it and remove it yourself eg before sex - I haven't tried one of these though but others on here have...

Hurdity x