Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Cystoscope  (Read 2293 times)

Kake

Cystoscope
« on: June 04, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »

Wondering if anyone here has had a cystoscopy, and if you'd mind telling me a little about how it affected you.

I have one coming up very soon, and I'm feeling nervous about it, particularly how I'll feel afterwards, and the risk of it causing a UTI. I'm getting knocked out for it, so I'm not (too) concerned about the procedure itself.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cystoscope
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 02:14:31 PM »

:welcomemm:

I am sure that someone will be along soon ....... or put 'cystoscope' into the search box and see what pops up?

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 03:11:48 PM »

Kake, I am unfortunately an aficionado of cystoscopies. My last one was two weeks ago, infact !!
My first was a rigid cystoscopy under general anaesthetic. After that I have had multiplr flexible cystoscopies whilst awake. They use a local anaesthetic lubricating gel. And I take diazepam ... but I'm a survivor, so have issues with anything done down there.
Can I ask whether you are having a rigid or a flexible? Under general or with sedation ?
I can then give you more guidance. xx

Kake

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 03:32:17 PM »

Thanks CLKD. I'll try that.

Pants46, thanks to you too. I'm having general anaesthetic, I don't know which type I'm having, but I think maybe it's flexible, because the GA was optional.

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:38:35 PM »

I had one as part of an investigation into repeated UTI's I'm not sure if it was rigid or flexible I suspect flexible as I wasn't offered a GA but I'm not a fan of GA unless completely necessary and I have quite a high pain threshold it was slightly unpleasant not pain as such and didn't have any issues apart from a slight spotting after not nearly as unpleasant as I thought it was going to be  :) hope you get on ok

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 08:24:39 PM »

Oh golly gosh ... forgot to post more info.  Sorry, meno brain.  :o
So, if the GA was optional, they were probably planning on doing a flexi. But if you are having a GA, they may well use the fixed. So ...
1. Unless they do something up there, just take a look, you won't pass any blood.
2. Whether flexi or rigid, they will have to fill your bladder with sterile water. They will drain this out before waking you up. But, when you wake up you may feel like you need to pee. That is because the bladder has been stretched a bit. The feeling will pass in about 30 mins. Don't panic ... like I did  ::)
3. If they have to do something up there, you'll be given a short course if antibiotics. If they don't, you won't.
4. It may hurt when you pee for a day or so. That does not mean you have a uti, but that the scope rubbed the inside of your urethra. Take some pain killers. Drink lots of water (not caffeine or juices). In those circumstance I scream when I pee ... make sure you remove small children and pets from the surrounding area. No one needs an 8 stone Rottweiler trying to protect you when you are on the loo !!
It will pass by the next day.
5. Drink lots if water for 2 days after. You shouldn't get a UTI. If you do, contact your doctor. They will give you an advise sheet when you are discharged.

Hope that helps. And good luck. xx

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 11:16:33 PM »

I've had three and didn't have any problems. I was awake for them so was able to drive myself to and from the appointment. I even went back into work after two of them as I felt fine.  Remember to drink plenty afterwards though just to keep the bladder nicely flushed through. I'm sure you'll be fine. Let us know how you get on

Taz x  :)

JaneinPen

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 08:25:27 AM »

I too had a flexible cystoscopy whilst awake. I could watch on a screen if I wanted to. My GP did warn me that I might get a UTI afterwards but like Taz2. I was absolutely fine. The consultant was obviously very good because I really didn't feel a thing but the camera very tiny. Good luck

Kake

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 07:48:02 AM »

Thanks for all the helpful advice and well wishes guys. I really appreciate them.

Pants46 thanks for that comprehensive list, very useful. Sorry you've had to have so many.

I had my procedure and it went well. Not even any real pain afterwards, lucky me. I was given an iv antibiotic along with the anaesthetic.

Herdwick I think my consultant was very good as well. I was really dreading the after effects because of my normally insanely sensitive bladder.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »

I too had a flexible cystoscopy whilst awake. I could watch on a screen if I wanted to. My GP did warn me that I might get a UTI afterwards but like Taz2. I was absolutely fine. The consultant was obviously very good because I really didn't feel a thing but the camera very tiny. Good luck
Much the same for me.