Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How much Utrogestan to take  (Read 744 times)

AndieM

How much Utrogestan to take
« on: June 12, 2019, 03:22:23 PM »

Hi... I'm peri menopausal and just started on oestrogel/ Utrogestan
I started with 2 pumps of the gel in the morning and it gave me terrible anxiety, after 3 days I dropped down to 1 and feel much better, my question is, should I still take x2 100mg Utrogestan  day 15-26 or less as I'm only on 1 pump.
I still have periods each month but they've been shortening from 34days to 21-24 day
Thanks x

Hurdity

Re: How much Utrogestan to take
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »

Start with the licensed dose (200 mg for 12 days per cycle) and see how you go for now...absorption of oestrogen from a given dose of gel is enormously variable so that although 1 pump is a low dose - some women still achieve quite high oestrogen levels so would need sufficient progesterone to protect the womb lining. When you ovulate you will be producing progesterone of your own but you won't know when/if this occurs especially once your ovulatory cycles become few and far between.

However.... if your periods are regular and consistently shorter cycles (rather than very irregular with some shorter and some longer cycles) then you are possibly not yet at peri-menopause (officially) but in the late reproductive stage ie ovulation still occurring. Some women start to get symptons at this point and HRT can help, and I presume this has happeed to you hence the HRT?

Glad you are feeling better!

Hurdity x

AndieM

Re: How much Utrogestan to take
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 08:03:41 PM »

Thanks Hurdity
Yes been having hot flushes, night sweats, brain fog, mood swings, crying and rages for the last couple of years, have been trying to manage it naturally, but recently symptoms have been getting worse, it was actually my husband who was watching menopause week on bbc breakfast and recognised the symptoms in me and said I should get some help.
I will give the normal dose a go and see how I get on x