Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: What dose of oestrogen should you take with mirena coli  (Read 796 times)

ann58

What dose of oestrogen should you take with mirena coli
« on: June 08, 2019, 04:02:38 PM »

I have used mirena coil and 50mc oestrogen patch for the last 4.5 years. In the last year I gradually decreased the oestrogen level to see if I was ok to come off hrt. I was fine with 25mc but felt dreadful at 12.5 so my gynecologist recommended I stay on hrt and replace the coil. I stayed with the 25mc patch. It is now 6 weeks since I had the new one inserted and this week I have felt weepy, irritable, not sleeping and anxious. Today I have some bleeding. Do you think this could be because the new mirena is stronger so I need to up the oestrogen dose again?

Hurdity

Re: What dose of oestrogen should you take with mirena coli
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 07:45:17 AM »

Yes a new Mirena will be releasing progestogen at a higher rate than the old one - some of which is absorbed systemically - so you could be experiencing side effects. Also if your oestrogen dose is too low compared with the progestogen it can lead to overthinning of the womb lining so you will want to avoid this. I can't comment on the cause of the bleeding except that this is normal in the first few months of a Mirena.

Are you post-menopausal?

You haven't said how old you are but personally I would want to be on 50 mcg with a Mirena coild and if you felt well on this I would increase again back to 50 mcg.

Hope this sorts things out so that you feel better :)

Hurdity x

Countrygirl

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 07:51:47 AM »

I had a new mirena January as old one ran out and was put on 25 patch, but felt the old symptoms coming back over time and was put on the 50 one this weekend so if I was you like hurdity said go back and try on the 50 and see how you feel ann58 it could be your old mirena had run out so you are now getting a higher dose and need high patch to balance it  x

ann58

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 04:58:57 PM »

Thank you Hurdity and Country Girl. I woke up this morning feeling absolutely dreadful. I remembered that I still had a box of 50mc from before I reduced them so I have put one on and starting to feel a little more normal again. I'm going to get an appointment with the doctor in the morning.
I'm 7 years post menopause and I'm 61.

Moonshine54

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 06:15:07 PM »

Hi Anne
I am new to this really . I have utrogestan and patches. I have just increased  to 50 patches and I feel much better.
I am hoping it lasts
Mooney xx

ann58

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 01:19:23 PM »

I saw my doctor today and she checked my coil and said the bleeding was probably due to the change in hormones. I asked for a blood test anyway just for my own reassurance. She advised I take 50mcg oestrogen for the time being and will review it next month.