Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Ignorance wasn’t bliss!  (Read 1372 times)

Teepee

Ignorance wasn’t bliss!
« on: June 05, 2019, 08:00:12 AM »

Recently in the last week started HRT and cannot believe how different I feel mentally and physically.
Because of this and my dr recommending this website I'm now so scared it's all gonna go back the way it was before!
I always thought that because my mum had breast cancer that I couldn't or shouldn't have HRT?
For around 10 to 15 yrs I've suffered with night sweats, hot flushes, skin irritations on face and generally dry skin everywhere ageing me beyond my yrs.
I tolerated it all ignorantly believing it was not an option for me. Lack of sexual desire and the aches and pains were the worst.
I've always been agile and athletic and enjoyed running but it became less and less due to the aches, pains and injuries.
I started studying for a degree a few yrs back and was doing well when anxiety and self doubt led me to a university counsellor which eventually led to a referral and diagnosis for ADHD.
This explained a lot but not the aches and pains and loss of libido.
Last week I thought enough enough and went to see a new GP as my old one just retired.
Already I feel different and believe me I've tried nutrition changes, chiropractic, osteopaths, rheumatologist, massage etc with no change that lasted.
My skin now feels amazing, my mood and outlook have lifted and I feel more like my old self.
Reading posts has made me worry it's just temporary or have I just got lucky?
Do you need to keep reviewing what you take,
Can you take it long term,
Am I in the honeymoon period?
Just waited so long to feel better and don't want to lose it now?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ignorance wasn’t bliss!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 02:57:00 PM »

This member's Mum had breast disease.

However: a GP should never refuse HRT to anyone.  If it is that dangerous then every woman aged 50 should be advised to undergo bilateral mastectomy  >:(.  Quality of Life is important.  My breast disease was apparently receptifve but that was in the 1990s.  If I required relief from menopause symptoms I would want to know Exactly how much risk there is: a friend has been told by her Oncologist that she has a 3% risk of recurrence, she's 6 years post-surgery, so she's opted for HRT.   One should not be expected to suffer!

OK Teepee - some ladies find keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.  But if the HRT works, then don't think of altering it.  Get on with 'doing' ;-).

Do read the threads about vaginal atrophy though .........

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 03:13:59 PM »

Read oestrogen Matters book by Avrum Blumin his own wife & daughter have had breast cancer and BOTH are on HRT.

There is an awful lot of media propaganda, & medical evidence that proves that we have been lead down the wrong path.

He is a top US breast oncologist.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »

:thankyou: those details ought to be a sticky on here ;-)

Teepee

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 04:04:11 PM »

Thankyou Jari, CLKD and MaryJane for replies and book recommendation that's really helpful.
So much more to learn I think!
Jari, it was my mum that had a mastectomy in her 60's and she went on to live TIL 92 with no recurring episodes. None of my other sisters or aunties had BC but I think my GP was satisfied I understood the risks and would've let me make the decision myself even if they had.
I'm sure glad she did as my quality of life was pretty gloomy in that place and I felt like I'd tried other options so after talking with my husband and kids decided to ask the question.
I will look at the threads advised thanks CLKD and keep reading, noting and learning x :)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 04:05:58 PM »

Mum's breast was removed due to a lump found on mammogram at 65.  No further treatment required. She's 92  ::)

Teepee

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 09:26:27 PM »

Jari, It's Femoston conti 0.5/2.5 mg which she said was a very low dose. I've only started it last week so very early days Jari.
CLKD what a coincidence and you've found something that works for you too?