Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Peri menopause , fibroids and psoriasis  (Read 1391 times)

Jussytopps

• First Flush
Peri menopause , fibroids and psoriasis
« on: June 06, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »

Hello all, I'm new to this site. I'm a 45 years old, always had bad pmt and psoriasis. However over the past couple of years my periods are really really heavy ( fibroids ),  painful and every couple of weeks coupled with numerous symptoms of the peri menopause.
Over the years I have tried numerous contraceptives I.e marina coil, pill etc and anything with hormones in it makes my psoriasis worse. 

I have tried these for about 15 years and still have a bit of psoriasis but it doesn't bother me. I have finally given in and seen the GP as just could not cope. I have been prescribed femoston 1/10.

I'm sorry if this is repeat question, I have tried to search but mainly finding results from ladies who have developed psoriasis as a result of menopause.

Does anyone have any experiences good or bad? Did it make the bleeds better? psoriasis  better or worse ?
Thanks very much

Dancinggirl

Re: Peri menopause , fibroids and psoriasis
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 07:46:20 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

I doubt that psoriasis would be worse on HRT - oestrogen often helps maintain the skin better. In the past you have only had progesterone to control heavy bleeding and progesterone alone could effect the skin more negatively.  Femoston contains a kinder progesterone and as it also gives you oestrogen this HRT type could be beneficial for you.
Give it a go - you may find you get some benefits.  No HRT will fix everything - it's about benefits versus side effects.
If you have fibroids then you could find the bleeding quite heavy. 
I found that I got the fewest problems with the Mirena and oestrogen alongside - I used oestrogen transdermally with Oestrogel.

Good luck - keep us posted.  DG x

Jussytopps

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 10:06:14 AM »

Thank you for your advice I will see what happens.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 07:13:32 PM »

Hello Jussytops and welcome to the forum.

As Psoriasis is an inflammatory condition the anti inflammatory properties of oestrogen should be beneficial. I was diagnosed with a different auto immune disease namely Ulcerative Colitis at the same time my periods stopped but have been in remission ever since due I think to medication, a plant based diet and HRT.

Co incidentally I also had heavy periods plus one small fibroid but the bleeding stopped and the fibroid disappeared when I began HRT.

Wishing you luck with your regime. Take care and keep posting.

K.

Holsy

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 04:50:49 PM »

Hi Jussytops

I'm afraid I don't know about femoston, but I too have several fibroids and have had the mirena coil for 10 years. Which has stopped the heavy bleeding, which would last for weeks. I am on evorel patches but still don't think I have the levels right as I have developed acne...which according to most people oestrogen is supposed to be good for the skin. I think it is for some. Perhaps I need to increase my oestrogen.....

Do you think you could try the coil with the oestrogen as a patch or gel? If you started them together I don't know whether that would aid in the balancing of both hormones and then possibly help with the psoriasis. Could you be referred to a dermatologist for the psoriasis?

Good luck with finding a solution for all of it. It is difficult. Best wishes. x

Holsy

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 08:16:32 AM »

Hi Kathleen

I meant to ask you about your fibroid disappearing. Do you know how big the fibroid was? How long were you on hrt for when you noticed that it had gone?

I have heard various things about fibroids in that oestrogen feeds them and makes them bigger, so I've been worried about mine, but I'd love them to shrink so that I can get rid of the mirena coil. I had a scan last week to check them and they haven't changed in size since last year. I have been on hrt for nearly 4 months. (evorel patches).

I'm really pleased for you that yours has disappeared, as they're a pain. xx