Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Using Combined HRT in later years.  (Read 862 times)

Cassie

Using Combined HRT in later years.
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »

This question is for those ladies who are in their 60 and possibly 70s, if there are any that have chosen to use a combi of HRT that causes a monthly withdrawal bleed, how do you find still having "periods" at that stage of your life? I cannot imagine taking progesterone every day and fully intend to stay on HRT as long as possible as my gynae informed me that he has ladies well into their 70s on it. Is there any reason for one to be on combi HRT or are there still ladies having bleeds in the later stages of life  :-\

Cazikins

Re: Using Combined HRT in later years.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 04:36:11 PM »

I'm 61 & take Femoston ultra low dose conti.
I had spotting & breakthrough bleeding for about 6 months but it finally stopped. I've been on it now for about 6 years & it suits my lifestyle just fine. I work part time & I need it to get me through the day - I probably couldn't do my job without it.
I could not, nor want to endure a monthly bleed.
Cazi x

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 07:22:22 PM »

Hurdity if I am not mistaken you also get a monthly bleed still, do you intend to continue this way indefinitely. Tx Ladies, I guess am really trying to establish that whilst its not natural is it safe to continue like this as cannot deal with permanent progesterone.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 07:54:56 AM »

Hi Cassie - just seen this post - been away from the forum since last week as v busy atm....

Yes I am 66 - possibly one of the oldest on here ( who post regularly) who are still taking cyclical HRT - I htink someone else posted in the past few months so there will be others.

I'm like Stellajane - I hate having to do the whole tampon and period pain thing at my age but the alternative is worse daily prog, and foggy head. The research also may favour minimising the prog (re breast cancer risk) although the jury's still out on that one I think.

I don't get a monthly bleed though. I do a long cycle which varies from 5 - 8 weeks. I am trialling shortening the cycle (to approx 5 weeks) and reducing the utrogestan - so 11 days x 100 mg vaginally. Have had some odd spotting at thew wrong time do GP referred me for scan which is later this month so will see how my uterus is faring on this regime.

Quite so - it's not natural to bleed in your 60's but you have to do what gives you the best outcome in terms of symptoms vs side effects. Many of us are living 30-40 years post-menopause so if quality of life is improved overall by staying on HRT then that's what's important. Conti HRT is also not natural but we each choose what's best for us and our circumstances and health!

Not sure when/if I will decide to stop - I might try to start reducing oestrogen dose as I get nearer 70. Those without wombs can just carry on for ever without these issues to consider.

Hurdity x