Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HELP!! moving from tablet HRT to gel/tablet - how to take?  (Read 1168 times)

sunlightmama

HELP!! moving from tablet HRT to gel/tablet - how to take?
« on: June 11, 2019, 03:57:49 PM »

I got early (peri) menopause at 39 and have been on the pill, prempac c (til discontinued) then Femeston 1/10 tablets. But last few months, I've been low mood, not my cheery self and having hot flushes in the day (which I never had) and night sweats no longer un control. Went to doctors who was a rude pain in the arse when I asked to increased the dose to 2/10. Said I needed blood tests!!! FFS!!!! I refused and I said - this is MENOPAUSE!!!!! Anways she's given me oestrogen gel and told me to put on 2 squirts and ulrogestan 100. I have some questions can you help?
- I've been putting 2 pumps of gel on my legs in the morning, - i wash my hands thoroughly, if there likely to be any residue on my hands that i can pass onto my daughter (10) holding hands to school ( i know i sound mad - i am an worry person!!) or if i sit on the loo would there be any oestrogen left on the loo seat ?!?!

- The gel seems to lift my mood, i feel much more myself, but the night sweats are hopeless - any thoughts?

The doctor said to take one utrogestan 100 everyday!!! the blurb in the packet however says take two tablets at bedtime on days 15 - 26 of 28 day cycle.?? I've ignored the doctor who was a shagwit and opted for the later dose and I'm due to take tonight
Is is going to make me drowsy (as I had heard) and can I eat with them or drink wine ( not to wash it down!! if I was going out for drinks?!).

- how do people keep track of their cycle, I've got in in my diary, but wouldn't an app be lovely!!

Thanks for your help xxx

anais

Re: HELP!! moving from tablet HRT to gel/tablet - how to take?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 09:33:02 PM »

I am post meno and on 4x pumps per day. I started with 2x but this needed to be increased as I have it prescribed for osteoporosis. When I was on 2x I took 1x morning and 1x evening. Now I have 2x morning and 2x evening, I alternate outer arm/shoulders and inner thighs. I was on 1x 100mg Utrogestan every night but changed to Mirena as Utrogestan failed to control my breakthrough bleeding. Utrogestan  didn’t make me drowsy or help with my sleep, which was disappointing. My consultant has today prescribed 100mg Utrogestan in addition to the Mirena because my womb lining is thick and I’ve had some more bleeding on the increased level of Estrogel (yes, I know … I feel like a walking pharmacy). If you are post meno and taking HRT you should be taking progesterone continuously. If pre meno you take it cyclically. When I googled post menopausal bleeding today I read that continuous progesterone is more protective against uterine cancer than cyclical, so you pay your money and make your choice on that one. I sometimes wonder about taking all these hormones but then I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at a young age so I have to weigh up the relative risks. I have a good consultant and a good clinic on the NHS so any problems I can phone them up.

As long as you wash your hands thoroughly after applying the gel you should be safe holding hands etc, but you could also use your wrists to apply the gel for peace of mind.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:34:55 PM by anais »

sunlightmama

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:06:42 AM »

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. Seems like my doctor was asking me take it as post meno (everyday!) rather than cyclically. I feel alarmed at how little my doctors have been equipped to deal with this. A few years ago, a doctor prescribed me oestrogen only pill and no progeterone (i have had endometriosis removed in the past)....and if I hadn't been on the ball, as a peri woman I could have been at risk of cancer.

It's bloody scary!!!

Thanks again xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:57:06 AM »

Also to add that you don't have to take it continuously even if you are post-menopausal - especially as you are so young (how old are you now?) and would normally still be having periods. It depends how you feel on the prog part but I still have a cycle in my 60's becasuse I don't like the thought of continuous progesterone! For me it's bad enough having to do 12 days.... In your position I would go for the cyclical regime as you suggested earlier.

Also re the blood tests - what was the doc recommending? It's always good to have general blood tests to check all is well in addition to menopausal symptoms. Re blood tests for oestrogen - this might be good if you are still young although the tell-tail signs of the HRT not controlling flushes and sweats does imply your oestrogen levels maybe low especially as you are on a low dose product (the 1/10 tabs) - and due to the need for bone protection (from early menopause) it is very likely you would need a higher dose for this purpose. At least you were successful in the end!

Oh I've just read your second post and if you have had endometriosis - depends if there are desposits remaining and how serious but if there are, then continuous HRT is often recommended to prevent these regrowing. See the info here on this website: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossE

Re transfer - I think a small amount would be absorbed through the skin from your hands - but as you say if you wash it off immediately then this will be insignificant. However as anais says, as a precaution I would use wrists or an applicator? Definitely not on the loo seat if it's dry! if it was still tacky - possibly - if she sat down immediately after you - but we're talking extremely tiny amounts I imagine and it's your daughter rather than son!

Hurdity x

sunlightmama

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »

Thank you....I'm 47 now and I am summising that my oestrogen has dipped and the 1/10 femeston wasn't cutting it.

I'm still having hot flushes and bad night sweats on 2 pumps a day!!! Wondering whether to self-medicate and up it to 4 pumps a day to see if that helps! I find it a pain in the neck remembering to do the gel and what days to take the progesterone, and preferred the simplicity of popping a tablet. However as I understand it, it's safer to have the oestrogen in the gel format.

Thanks again,

Claire x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 07:35:29 PM »

You might find patches easier as you only need to change them twice a week....still got to remember though but set a reminder on your phone? Does sound like you need to increase oestrogen if flushes not controlled though...

Hurdity x