Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Blood Tests to check if you are going through the menopause  (Read 834 times)

AnnaLStephen

Hi

I am new to this site as recommeded by my Dr after going for blood tests to see if I was going through the menopause, as I have had most of the symptoms, I had 3 lots of blood taken on the 30th May but have been informed today that I need to have more taken on the 14th June. We are just back from holiday and i had been taking Norithsterone to stop my period (all though they only last 3 days) the last tablet was taken 3 days before my "period" started and this stopped 2 days before my bloods were taken --- would this give a false reading for my blood results and this is why I would need to have more because they do not want to see me until the 14th June??

any info would be much appreciated.

Anna

Hurdity

Re: Blood Tests to check if you are going through the menopause
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:05:27 AM »

Hi AnnaLStephen

:welcomemm:

Your post got missed - the forum is very busy!

Re your results - as far as I understand it at higher doses norethisterone can prevent ovulation and therefore your blood tests results would not be accurate with regard to menopausal status. It would have been pointless therefore doing blood tests for menopause during this time ( while taking the norethisterone).

If you are over 45 and having irregular natural periods, and not on mini-pill or Mirena coil then docs do not need to do blood tests to determine if you are peri-menopausal - symptoms and cycle alone are the deciding factor according to the NICE menopause Guidelines.

No need to see the doc at all for blood tests, unless you are under 45, or if you have symptoms you would lke to relieve - eg flushes and sweats are the most obvious ones - in which case HRT is recommended, if you feel you would like to take it.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 08:12:22 AM »

Morning!  Hormone blood tests are reliably un-reliable  ::).

Maybe decide which symptom you would like to ease first and discuss with the Practice Nurse or GP?  Make notes ;-).  Pity the Phlebotomist didn't ask if you were on any HRT-type medication  ::)

AnnaLStephen

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 10:45:45 AM »

Hi

It was the dr that took the bloods after giving her a list of my symptoms, I am 46 this year and sterilised so not on any form of contraception maybe find out more on Friday when I go for repeat bloods.

Anna

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 07:37:41 PM »

Your doc should not be relying on blood tests to see if you are peri-menopausal at your age. If you are getting symptoms of flushes and sweats and your natural menstrual cycle ( before taking the norethisterone) has become irregular eg longer cycles especially, then you are assumed to be peri-menopausal so if you want to treat the symptoms then HRT should be prescribed, if you would like to go down this route. Let us know the outcome anyway!

Hurdity x