Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Advice on increasing hrt dose  (Read 1240 times)

mairired

Advice on increasing hrt dose
« on: June 02, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »

Hi all i am looking for some advice, apologies if the answer is already on the forum somewhere but there's a lot to look through.
I have just completed 4 months on Everol Sequi, it initially helped with a lot of my symptoms and I had no real bothersome side effects, i felt better than i had in ages. However i wold say over the last month thing have gone downhill again, terrible tiredness and the one symptom i hate so much, numbness and facial tingling (freaks me out).

I had decided to try the Mirena coil and gel, my GP was all for it, but then was warned of potential erratic bleeding for a good while and am going on a very special holiday in September and don't want to be dealing with that (beaches and yoga)> so have asked GP if its possible to increase the oestrogen maybe with gel to add to the patches i am using now, I am sure i have read that you can add either a 25mg patch or try i pump of gel to see if it helps... asked my GP a week ago who said she had no idea and would need to go find out and would call me on Monday, that was last week and still not heard back... i want to be prepared if she says no...can anyone tell me if they have been able to do this or if in theory it should be ok ? 

Salad

Re: Advice on increasing hrt dose
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »

Everyone is different and obviously should work with their doctor's advice, where possible. But my GP was more than happy for me to adjust my dose myself eg adding another pump of gel. She was also really helpful in prescribing me a higher dose of patch when I went on to them.
I also used gel and patch together for a time.
Maybe contact the surgery and ask for a phone call with your GP - good luck.

mairired

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 07:47:03 PM »

Thanks Salad, if she hasn't called back tomorrow i intend to chase her up, its good to hear someone else has used both. Because the Sequi patches only come with 50 patches she seemed unsure but i thought i could probably top up with a seperate prescription for a 25mg patch or some gel...here's hoping.

allie007

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 09:54:02 PM »

Hi Mairired, i'm using a Mirena coil, 100mg Estradot patch and a pump of Estrogel. I've just changed GP surgeries and my previous one was not supportive at all when it came to higher doses of HRT. They didn't want me to use more than 2 pumps of gel when that was the only thing I was using. The new GP was happy for me to use both for the time being but I am being referred to a gyni clinic x

mairired

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 04:12:34 PM »

Thank you allie007 i called the surgery today and was told she had written to the menopause clinic for advice about giving me gel alongside the patch, who knows how long it will take for them to reply but i guess i can appreciate her not just saying no and actually trying to find out properly having admitted she didn't really know much about HRT. fingers crossed.

allie007

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 06:33:37 PM »

My new GP said exactly the same!
Good luck and let us know what happens x