Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Vagifem vaginal pessaries hot flushes  (Read 2570 times)

pease

Vagifem vaginal pessaries hot flushes
« on: May 30, 2019, 04:49:08 PM »

Hi everyone. After 20 happy years on HRT I have taken the step of reducing the dose over 4 months and then stopping altogether. At the end of my first month with no HRT I am getting flushes every 30 minutes in the day, but no night sweats. Vaginal dryness is another concern so today my lovely GP prescribed Vagifem pessaries 10mc. I am quite happy to use these and know they are not the same as oral HRT, but was wondering whether anyone else out there had used them and wanted to ask whether they helped a little with the hot flushes?
Before you ask, I came off HRT voluntarily because I was on tibolone which has a raised risk of stroke in older women (I am 68), so I thought it time to give it up!

Katejo

Re: Vagifem vaginal pessaries hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 05:32:41 PM »

Hi everyone. After 20 happy years on HRT I have taken the step of reducing the dose over 4 months and then stopping altogether. At the end of my first month with no HRT I am getting flushes every 30 minutes in the day, but no night sweats. Vaginal dryness is another concern so today my lovely GP prescribed Vagifem pessaries 10mc. I am quite happy to use these and know they are not the same as oral HRT, but was wondering whether anyone else out there had used them and wanted to ask whether they helped a little with the hot flushes?
Before you ask, I came off HRT voluntarily because I was on tibolone which has a raised risk of stroke in older women (I am 68), so I thought it time to give it up!
I have been using them for 8 months and like them I don't think they would help flushes but can't confirm either way because I haven't had more than very mild flushes and not for some time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 06:54:15 PM »

One needs full HRT to ease hot flushes.  Whilst it is a personal choice to stop medication, is there really such a risk?

Use the 'vagifem' nightly for 2 weeks as well as a pain relief for a couple of days if required.  Some ladies need other moistorisers, i.e. 'yes' or 'sylc' .

Bluebell

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 07:17:42 PM »

Hi pease, I've been using vagifem for a few years now and they have done nothing to ease my hot flushes/night-sweats. I only wish they did. 😉

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »

No, Vagifem wouldn't help with hot flushes, it's an extremely low dose and just a targeted treatment for VA.

Why not replace the Tibolone with a transdermal HRT? No stroke risk there. I am 69 and use Estradot , although am lucky that I only need oestrogen as I had a TAH/BSO years ago. There are other, um, older ladies on here using progesterone.

JP x

pease

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 10:35:02 AM »

Thank you all. My hopes are dashed (I thought as much) but I shall persevere through the hot flushes and if I get to the stage where it's all too much, I am sure my GP will listen sympathetically and yes, I may try a patch.
I last came off HRT 12 years ago (after taking it for 8 years). I gave up after 12 months of awful flushes and joint pains and went onto tibolone then. So I am now having my third menopause!!! ::)