Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Morning Anxiety  (Read 1357 times)

Chrissyp

Morning Anxiety
« on: June 01, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »

Anyone got any tips for waking up with anxiety? It's effecting my appetite too & it's making me very low x

jaypo

Re: Morning Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 10:13:45 AM »

Hi Chrissy,anxiety always seems worse in the morning,can you sit for 5 minutes?A lovely lady on here told me this mindful exercise.repeat 5 times what you feel e.g my heart beating,my feet on the floor,my hands on my lap etc,then 5 things you hear & 5 things you see & repeat 5 times,it sounds long winded but it worked for me xx

Chrissyp

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »

Thanks x

Lanie66

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »

A variation on Jaypo's advice for grounding is to start breathing deeply through your nose and out through your mouth then bring your awareness to:
5 things you can see
4 things you can touch
3 things you can hear
2 things you can smell
1 emotion you can feel

Another method I use that someone told me recently is to count backwards from 99 in 3s while taking an inhale and exhale for each number.  I meditate using this method and it takes about 10 minutes.  I find it very calming.  Probably any counting technique that suits the time you have would help.

Maybe Google yoga for anxiety?  Do a couple of poses/movements before you start your day.  I've recently started classes and I can't overstate how calm I feel since.  Its helped put things in perspective for me.

You can also use something to hold to distract from anxiety like a worry ball or a favourite stone or small toy.

There are many things you can try, not saying it's easy, just try not to lie in bed and worry.  Hope you see improvements x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »

Cortisol.  The waking hormone  >:(.  It would wake me any time after 3.30 and leave me deeply afraid, pre-hensilly afriad.  It's natural but that never helps me  :-\

How is your overall diet, a snack B4 bedtime might help ;-)

Chrissyp

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 05:17:15 PM »

Thanks x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 05:35:25 PM »

Let us know ?

racjen

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 06:08:04 PM »

I have to say that I don't find any of these grounding techniques, breathing, meditation etc. the slightest bit effective - I've been seeing a clinical psychologist who teaches all of this, but when the anxiety is so thoroughly physically rooted (as CLKD describes) absolutely nothing makes a dent in it. And for me it is really really intense first thing in the morning and takes several hours to work its way out of my body. Nothing seems to help - I'm currently 1 week into taking Fluoxetine and it's making it even worse, not sure I'm going to be able to hang on long enough to see if I get any positive effect. Right now I'm going to bed every night dreading the next morning  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 07:13:20 PM »

Oh racjen  :bighug: ........ it can take me until 10.30-11.00 B4 I begin to feel that the day will improve  :-\ Life shouldn't be so  >:(

What ever works, use it.  Weather it be stretching/relaxing all the muscles groups from toes to ears, medication, yoga, swimming ....... I try to keep busy with routine activities so that I can grit my teeth until the anxiety goes away.