Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena cramping/bleeding  (Read 1176 times)

Dee46

Mirena cramping/bleeding
« on: May 28, 2019, 07:09:26 AM »

Hi I havent posted for a while but I had the Mirena fitted 2 weeks ago, had mild cramps & light spotting for 4 days then for the last 10 days I have had really bad cramps like labour pains & heavier bleeding.

I am also on Estradot 100 patch

Is the cramping & bleeding normal? GP did explain that I might get spotting, heavy/light bleeding or none at all & to give it 10 weeks.

Is all this pain normal? I have been taking paracetamol twice a day but the pain is bad again by early evening.

Some advice would be helpful if this is normal.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mirena cramping/bleeding
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 01:17:38 PM »

Sorry can't help other than 2 suggest that you put Mirena coil into the search box to see what pops up?  Cramps were my biggest problem when I had periods  :'(

SEU666

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »

Hi Dee46,

I too had a long bleed a couple of weeks after the Mirena was fitted. It lasted for about 10 days or so, for me it wasn't very heavy, I used pads as advised by the Dr who put it in, and then it stopped.

The Mirena can take a while to settle down, for me I only had that one long bleed and after that I had more of a dark old blood appear about the time of a period, and no real bleeding again. Although I did have a show of bright red fresh blood once, about a year after it was fitted,  which did freak me out after having no proper bleeding for so long.

Although for me my periods had become much heavier, compared to some other women I suspect they weren't that heavy, so that might be why I've had no real bleeding since it was put in. Had Mirena 2 years now.

I didn't start HRT (25mg patch) until 4 months after the Mirena was fitted.
Patch now a 75mg one. Periods more a slight beige smudge on a panty liner now and now about 7-9 weeks apart and not the 28 days or so before. Been peri for 8 years, so hoping ovaries are shutting down more now.

A few other ladies may have some advice for you soon, but the Mirena does seem to be tricky to predict how it effects each woman. That much I've come to realise.

X

sadielouise78

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 06:38:14 AM »

I had the most horrendous time with the mirena coil. I had it for 9 months and really heavy bleeding starting not long after I'd had it fitted. Right at the end I was on all fours on the floor convinced I was in labour and wanting to push. I think my body was trying to expel it. After that I had it removed and I will never try it again. Nightmare!

helenmelon

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 10:01:06 AM »

I've had my Mirena in for 12 months. For the first 12 weeks I had cramps and some bleeding and wasn't entirely sure if it had been the right decision. However, now I have no bleeds, although do get some odd symptoms around period time. My periods were previously very heavy, so the last 9 months have been great, especially when it comes to holidays, no more packing millions of tampons etc in my case 😃
I'd give it at least 6 months before you make any decisions, this is coming from someone who really didn't like the idea of the Mirena.

Hope it calms down for you x

Dee46

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 11:59:17 AM »

Thank you for all your replies

Helenmelon - the GP did say I should give it 10 weeks so I guess what she was trying to say is you need to be patient like all hormones we put into our body, I feel the same I never wanted to have the coil but feel this is the last resort & I have to give it time, last week I thought I had made the wrong decision, but if painkillers can keep the cramping at bay then I will give it as long as I can, but great advice thank you.

sadielouse78 - Yours symptoms sound familiar, I feel like I could get on all fours & push this coil out when the pain gets that bad, I am going to give it longer & if not it will have to come out.

SUE666 - My periods have only got heavier since being on different kinds of HRT, before that they were tailing off a lot, so all this bleeding can be alarming. The last time I remember feeling like this was when I was in labour!!! I have been hearing some women are fine with the Mirena & some have a bit of a rough ride until it settles, hopefully mine will settle down, it is just amazing where all this blood is coming from, I can deal with the bleeding though it is just the cramps  :'(

SEU666

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »

Dee46 I used to literally faint with the pain when I was younger, late teens/early twenties. I used to rattle with pain killers, clots galore but always told I has normal, regular irregular periods!!
Now blissfully no more cramps and bleeding but the OCD me finds it hard to accept that I can't tell/don't know what my body is doing...when I will reach menopause.
Try to stick with it for a good few months as everyone is different, you may settle sooner rather than later or decide it's not for you.
Good luck XX