Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: The only way is up  (Read 1658 times)

squeaker99

The only way is up
« on: May 23, 2019, 04:26:55 PM »

Newbie here at rock bottom (again) of the Peri-Meno Rollercoaster.
Four years in I think. Periods stopped for last 3 months. Maybe this is finally ' it'.
If only men had any idea how difficult these years are for some of us.
What a wonderful supportive forum.

JaneinPen

Re: The only way is up
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 04:54:13 PM »

:welcomemm: squeaker99. So glad you found us.  There is always a mad meno lady around with advice  ;D

squeaker99

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 05:10:04 PM »

Thank you. Do you know if only one person answers your post it gave me
the only bright spark I have had all day. Just to know there is someone out there
sending good wishes to you.  Whoops. I am tearing up like a John Lewis advert now.

Rosie77

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 05:18:20 PM »

:bighug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 09:56:23 PM »

Browse round.  Make notes!   :welcomemm:

AG

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 05:48:40 PM »

Hi,

I started to get fairly severe peri symptoms once I started having gaps of a few months between periods (nearly 50, likely very late peri) in 2018 but things have been getting better over the last few months (still gaps of 3-5 months between periods, and any one of them could be the last one). I am not on HRT (yet) and everyone is different but I have so far found that hormone fluctuations most likely to occur during late peri for me were the very worst phase of all of this. What has made things better for me is cutting down on caffeine, sugar and exercising (even a brisk walk) as well as a low dose of magnesium with B vitamins which can help with nausea. But late peri for me will likely be worse than post meno. I wish you all the best and don't despair since things can get better but in the meantime you will need to find something that helps with your symptoms and that can also be the right combination of HRT. AG

squeaker99

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 01:16:55 PM »

Thanks AG. I identify with all you have said. I am late Peri / late 40s and my anxiety phases have become
more severe. They seem totally unpredictable . I can have a good few months then a couple of bad weeks.
I have just started to skip periods and find the week of my ' lost' period the worst.  I was going to start
Sertraline yesterday after much discussion but feel much batter today after a decent nights sleep.
We all have to find our own path on this although the tips on here really help.I have had such conflicting advice
from GPs on when / why I feel bad mentally  - hormones too high, too low, too fluctuation, generalised anxiety
disorder, blood sugar swinging.  Had all the blood tests (except hormones which they won't do). Just all do random.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »

Eating regularly, gentle exercise, 'me' time can all help!

Ladybt28

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 04:22:20 PM »

Hi and Welcome Squaker - if you have had all the blood tests done, thyroid, sugar, vitamin deficiency etc etc and they have found nothing then us ladies here would confidently say......you feel rubbish mentally due to "meno"!   You have generalised anxiety disorder due to "meno"!  You have poor sleep due to "meno"!  You are now in the phase of your life, where any random generalised symptom which makes you think you have some terrible disease is "meno"!!! and there is a distinct possibility that you are going to get more of them!  :-X

What I would say is stick with us honey... cos we have all been there one way or another or we have in fact had every weird meno symptom that most of the medical profession don't have a clue about  :)

There are all sorts of different ways to handle it, it is your choice - you just have to find a way that works for you.  Some go the natural route, diet, natural remedies and some of us go the "whole hog...and say "give me every medication known to man for meno, cause I can't cope!!! and I'll keep going till I find what works" (that's me by the way) and of course there are all the bits in between.  General experience of "health professional advice" on the forum is varied but I don't think I would be out of turn to suggest that by and large the ladies report it tends towards "no help - downright difficult - and/or not a baldy notion"! (sorry northern irish turn of phrase) with the odd "absolutely gets it and very helpful"  ;D

Anyway Squeaker 99, however you want to handle it, ask away here and someone will pop up... no question too stupid  ;D, no rant too long...don't worry about sounding certifiable, most of us have been there too. If you are feeling down - there are a good few laughs to be had here in some of the "lighter sections" of the forum.  Just keep posting is the best way. :)

JaneinPen

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »

Thank you. Do you know if only one person answers your post it gave me
the only bright spark I have had all day. Just to know there is someone out there
sending good wishes to you.  Whoops. I am tearing up like a John Lewis advert now.
I told you some of the ladies would be along. Sometimes it takes a bit if the messages arrive after we have logged in once already but just keep posting  :cancan:

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 06:08:48 PM »

Hi Squeaker   :)

Taz x  :welcomemm:

AG

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »

Yes, you basically need to find something that works for you as best as it can be it the right dose and type of HRT or other things that help. Generally speaking the times when periods started to get really irregular for me was a really bad time with a barrage of symptoms, and hormones, blood sugar, even blood pressure for me all over the place, nausea, anxiety I never had before, sleep issues, headaches I hardly ever had etc and also crazy PMT at with water retention that made me feel like a balloon at times and tinnitus, dizziness and other stuff ... but one thing that helped me was to keep exercising as best as I could (even just a walk, or sometimes just resting) and cutting down on caffeine and sugar as well as magnesium. It can get better but you will need to find what works for you. All the best, AG

squeaker99

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 10:11:12 AM »

To all you super ladies that have replied  :thankyou: :foryou: :lol:
Not feeling alone is a major boost.

Concentration is a bit one for me at the moment ' away with the fairies' would sum it up.
I nearly put the cereal packet in the fridge this morning and yesterday waited for change in Oxfam when I
didn't need any! I have never been super sharp / am boarderline dyslexic anyway but I feel positively
ditzy at the moment.

How I wish I had a local support network like this. Non of my ' friends' seem to have the same issues
when I have tentatively broached it and I don't want to become a winey bore.  I feel like I need
a good laugh and cry sometimes but have to put on this stiff upper lip front to the world. Any sign of
stress lately and I get tearful and anxious. To think I used to hold down a job and manage big budgets etc.
I work from home now which I actually hate as I have more head space time.

Anwway  :-* to you all