Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Health Anxiety  (Read 4728 times)

racjen

Re: Health Anxiety
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »

Tbh although I'm not a big fan of CBT, I'd say HA is probably one of the small number of complaints that respond really well to CBT (as others have said, it's closely allied to OCD which is definitely better treated with CBT than more analytic type of therapies - because both are not about the personal content of the thoughts, but about trying to control what are essentially random intrusions into your brain.) You should be able to self-refer to an NHS Depression and Anxiety Service locally, which will give you access to CBT (albeit with a long waiting list), or if you have the finances look for a private CBT therapist.

Blot

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 05:46:40 PM »

Racjen, it's not the HA that gives me problems these days, it's other anxieties. I've tried telephone CBT and found it a waste of time. I really didn't engage with it. Maybe I would be better face to face and I've thought about paying for therapy many times but then I feel better and think I don't need it any more.

AgathaC

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 08:40:11 PM »

I have a couple of CBT based books, one specifically targeted at HA. Can forward details if anyone wants x

squeaker99

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2019, 04:55:11 PM »

Yes please on the books.   There is nothing I haven't tried when it comes to health anxiety. My life is basically health anxiety
focused. I literally have 24 hours between when one ends (post GP visit or tests) and another completely different one starts!
I was put on an on-line course called Beating The Blues by my GP but it was rubbish, dates and patronising.

I am having Pukka Pie, mushy peas and cheesy horseradish mash for tea tonight.

racjen

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »

Blot, I can think of nothing worse than telephone-based CBT - I hate the phone anyway, but trying to do something so sensitive without being in the same room as the therapist fills me with horror. This is what I don't like about CBT - most psychological therapies place a lot of importance on the therapeutic relationship between client and therapist, so it's important to find someone you get on with and can build a relationship of trust and openness with. CBT seems like having therapy with a robot....

Kathleen

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »

Hello ladies

Due to palpitations and internal shaking/anxiety I have started to worry about my heart. Weirdly when my palpitations were really severe a few years ago I didn't worry at all. I remember someone on the forum saying how she laid in bed and listened to her heart beating in her ears and it scared here.  I recall thinking that when the samething happened to me I found it quite soothing. It's odd what these hormones due to you physically and emotionally.

My GP mentioned CBT to me as well but I haven't tried it. I think if my problems are hormonal how will CBT help? I don't think it's suggested as a treatment for low Thyroid or instead of insulin for diabetics ( a silly comparison I know but you get my drift). Also I've heard of having CBT over the phone and again I'm sceptical. Surely body language and eye contact are vital methods of communication and a lot of understanding is lost without them. When this service was suggested to my friend by her GP and asked what she thought my friend just shrugged. Point made lol.

Having  said all that I wish we didn't have to endure health anxiety with the menopause and I hope that when our hormones finally settle we can return to being rational about our health. That day can't come soon enough!

Take care everyone.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 09:24:53 PM »

CBT did nowt for my phobia which was instigated within hours of being born  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 07:00:01 PM »

:thankyou: