Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: When to change from 14 days of Utrogestan to daily? Plus other questions!  (Read 1042 times)

carbolicsmokeball

• First Flush

Hi all, I have several queries and hope you can offer some advice please?

my GP only prescribed HRT in 2019 after I approached her with a long list of symptoms ( hot flushes, anxiety, brain fog etc) and a fistful of information I had found.  She was no spring chicken ( like me, I am 56 - she must be in her early 50s) but said that she did not have a lot of experience in the filed. So she agreed to read the information I gave her and get back to me.  I even told her what I wanted to be prescribed ( oestrogel daily and Utrogestan 14 days per month).  She came back to me a couple of days later and said she would prescribe what I requested.   A few months later I read about estradot and asked to be put on that rather than the daily application of the gel; again she agreed. 

However, I keep reading about others being on daily Utrogestan 100mcg rather than the 200mcg for 14 days. I  have not had a period since nov 2017 but have had  a few break through bleeds (after the 14 days of ultrogesan) when first on HRT and the odd one or two over the last year.  My GP doesn't have a great deal of knowledge so I need to go in armed with more information.....   So, when is it usual to take the Utrogestan daily? 

Also, the Estradot 50 I am on seemed to be working well and my symptoms were well controlled but more recently the hit flushes and mood swings have returned.  I did ask if I could have Estradot 75 but was refused.

Also (sorry) I have sourced some testosterone gel and used it regularly with slight benefit but have noticed an increase in the hair loss I was already suffering....is it exacerbated by the testosterone gel?  Has anyone used spironolactone and minoxidil TABLETS for hair loss with any good result?

Sorry for all the questions.  I am spending so many hours trying to find the information without success and thought it best to ak those who clearly have more experience than my GP!  Any advice welcome!! 

Dotty

Re: When to change from 14 days of Utrogestan to daily? Plus other questions!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 06:37:48 AM »

Hi if you are post menopause (12 months without a period ) then you can take 100mg of Utrogestan daily at night on an empty stomach .

If your symptoms have come back then it sounds like you need more oestrogen. x

carbolicsmokeball

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 07:21:16 AM »

Thanks, Dotty!

Bumblebeer7

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 01:10:20 AM »

A bit of a late reply, but I had the same experience. Went on testosterone replacement, saw improvement in energy,mood, libido and less dry skin, but worsened hair loss and sudden bout of cystic acne.  Went on spironolactone after consulting with a dermatologist.  Seeing small improvements, but spironolactone is meant to work slowly and I’ve only been on it a month