Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Ovarian cyst  (Read 3633 times)

Hoffgrad

Ovarian cyst
« on: May 20, 2019, 04:37:26 PM »

Hi ladies

I'm nearly 59, had a TVH ten years ago but left with my ovaries.  Had fabulous recovery and started Estradot oestrogen shortly afterwards.   No problems at all, other than having to play about with dosages over the years.   

In November last year, I started to get odd lower pelvic pain and a lot of abdominal bloating.   The pain was rather like period pains of the long and distant past.   Went to GP, had ultrasound scan and turns out I have a 6cm simple cyst.   I'm aware that having a cyst at my age, can be suspicious, but it is believed that I have probably had this for some time (as it's a simple cyst), and that it's only now that it's causing probs.

I have had a CA-125 blood test for ovarian cancer screening and it came back all clear... reading very low.    I am aware that you can still have ovarian cancer, and have a low CA-125, but as my cyst is a 'simple' one, I am not at all worried that it's cancer, even though my symptoms are all fairly trademark.   

I had a follow up (watchful waiting) scan 6 weeks later and it was still there and discomfort is awful.  Dragging sensation and lower back pain..absolute exhaustion and so bloated, that I can't do up any of my clothes. 

I had a fabulous consultation with a consultant gynaecologist, Mr Kaloo (Gloucestershire NHS) who I was incredibly impressed with.  It was refreshing to talk to someone who was progressive and very supportive of transdermal HRT for someone with my history.  We discussed that it would be better to not only remove the cyst, but also the ovary.  And for me to consider having the other ovary removed, just incase I had further cysts.   

I am now on a waiting list for surgery (it's 4 months as I believe... urgh!),  as I've been in pain and very uncomfortable since November 2018, it seems like an age to wait.  I do not have a date yet, but have asked to be put on a cancellation list. 

I had no hesitation at all, regarding removal of my ovaries.  I'm not a worrier by nature and surgery does not bother me.  In order to feel better, I need to have this and I am looking forward to feeling better.  I am unable to eat much at all without feeling full (yes, I know, another ovarian cancer symptom).

I will have the surgery done, laparoscopically and I'm aware that the healing time will be around 6 weeks.   

I was wondering if any ladies had had their ovaries removed post menopause,  without it being cancer.  And apart from the healing from the operation, whether you felt better having had them removed.   

As I'm on HRT anyway, the gynaecologist said there would be no shock to the system, and that even though ovaries still produce oestrogen and testosterone, at my age, it is a small amount.

Be super to hear from anyone who has had this operation.  Many thanks. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ovarian cyst
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 05:56:48 PM »

My Gynae always removes ovaries when 'going in' to save a) cancer risk, b) risk of anaesthetic and c) it's done with  ::)

Let us know how you get on.  You could use the search box to see if any thing has been discussed?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:57:01 PM »

Hi Hoffgrad

Sorry to hear about your cyst. However if you have just the one - how likely is it that you will get another one on the other ovary, to justify taking them both out "just in case". After all we could all have everything whipped out and cut off - breasts, uterus, cervix and ovaries and then remove the risk of 4 types of gynaecological cancer!

Hope that does't sound too flippant as not meant to be, but seriously - the post-menopausal ovary does continue to produce some hormones for some years I understand, especially testosterone I think, and you are still quite young at 59, and there could still be some impact on your system albeit not nearly so dramatic as surgical menopause - although I'm not certain about this  :-\.

It's difficult isn't it? - I do hope someone else comes along who has had later ovary removal post-hysterectomy when post-menopausal. If they are absolutely certain it is not cancerous then I would be tempted to keep the other one but presumably there is no way of telling definitely until the ovary/cyst is actually removed?

CLKD - is this a current gynae - I didn't know you still saw one? I wouldn't have thought it was universal practice to automatically remove both ovaries when someone presents with an ovarian cyst needing removal? Often I thought the cyst itself could be removed and especially if the woman is still pre-menopausal?

Hoffgrad I hope you don't have to suffer for too long and let us know the outcome - good luck with whatever op you decide to go for!

Hurdity x

Woodlands

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 10:31:22 PM »

Hello there.
I'm 56, gynae found ovarian cysts both ovaries whilst doing a uterine biopsy about four years ago.... Scanned 6 monthly, CA125 at the same time.... Then they gave me a break of about 8 months, huge increase in pain so scans again... Rt 13mm, left 15mm but simple cysts and no action needed.
I have a mirena, nothing else HRT and a long female family history of cancer.... No female relatives these days older than me.
Woodlands xx

sksj1

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 08:41:05 PM »

Hi ladies

I'm nearly 59, had a TVH ten years ago but left with my ovaries.  Had fabulous recovery and started Estradot oestrogen shortly afterwards.   No problems at all, other than having to play about with dosages over the years.   

In November last year, I started to get odd lower pelvic pain and a lot of abdominal bloating.   The pain was rather like period pains of the long and distant past.   Went to GP, had ultrasound scan and turns out I have a 6cm simple cyst.   I'm aware that having a cyst at my age, can be suspicious, but it is believed that I have probably had this for some time (as it's a simple cyst), and that it's only now that it's causing probs.

I have had a CA-125 blood test for ovarian cancer screening and it came back all clear... reading very low.    I am aware that you can still have ovarian cancer, and have a low CA-125, but as my cyst is a 'simple' one, I am not at all worried that it's cancer, even though my symptoms are all fairly trademark.   

I had a follow up (watchful waiting) scan 6 weeks later and it was still there and discomfort is awful.  Dragging sensation and lower back pain..absolute exhaustion and so bloated, that I can't do up any of my clothes. 

I had a fabulous consultation with a consultant gynaecologist, Mr Kaloo (Gloucestershire NHS) who I was incredibly impressed with.  It was refreshing to talk to someone who was progressive and very supportive of transdermal HRT for someone with my history.  We discussed that it would be better to not only remove the cyst, but also the ovary.  And for me to consider having the other ovary removed, just incase I had further cysts.   

I am now on a waiting list for surgery (it's 4 months as I believe... urgh!),  as I've been in pain and very uncomfortable since November 2018, it seems like an age to wait.  I do not have a date yet, but have asked to be put on a cancellation list. 

I had no hesitation at all, regarding removal of my ovaries.  I'm not a worrier by nature and surgery does not bother me.  In order to feel better, I need to have this and I am looking forward to feeling better.  I am unable to eat much at all without feeling full (yes, I know, another ovarian cancer symptom).

I will have the surgery done, laparoscopically and I'm aware that the healing time will be around 6 weeks.   

I was wondering if any ladies had had their ovaries removed post menopause,  without it being cancer.  And apart from the healing from the operation, whether you felt better having had them removed.   

As I'm on HRT anyway, the gynaecologist said there would be no shock to the system, and that even though ovaries still produce oestrogen and testosterone, at my age, it is a small amount.

Be super to hear from anyone who has had this operation.  Many thanks.

Hi ya my word. Sorry Hun. I was saying to mate, I keep having alot of issues atm and one them is this really horrible dull ache pain like period issues.  I'm same as u for bloating up and not getting in clothes as well as gas like mad in and out on appetite extra tired.
Think I may definitely get a check up. Xx thanks for the post. It helped me alot too