Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Statins & Side Effects  (Read 4961 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Statins & Side Effects
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2023, 03:00:49 PM »

Remind me Ayesha: did U have the pre diabetic blood tests prior to starting statins or after, because apparently they are given to those with diabetes  :-\

Ayesha

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2023, 03:12:10 PM »

It was when I had my annual blood test, then I was prescribed statins. They were only interested in my cholesterol levels and it was only when I asked if I was still prediabetic that they told me I was far from being prediabetic.     

Dierdre

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2023, 04:10:15 PM »

Hi Dierdre. I have always been on a healthy diet, including exercises and always used Benecol spread, but that hasn't made a difference to my 7.2 level.
I know people taking statins that have no problem at all and I was happy to have a go, but I nearly ended up in A&E because my blood pressure went through the roof. It's now obvious I should not take them and will have to try something more to lower my levels. I am now waiting for the effects off the statins to wear off but I can still feel my heart racing away!
Just to say I managed to reverse my prediabetic diagnoses, I must be doing something right!

CLKD, I might go back on butter, least it will have more taste!
Sometimes it's just genetic and there's not much you can do to change that. The doctor asked if anyone in my family had high cholesterol but my parents and grandparents were never tested years ago and if they did have it did them no harm, they all lived well into their 90's.
Thin healthy people have high cholesterol but maybe that's caused by stress.
My first tub of Benecol this week, I've never had anything but Lurpak so a big difference in taste  :(

Katejo

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2023, 05:12:51 PM »

Anyone on statins remember when they first took them, did you have side effects whilst they settled in the body and for how long. Did you eventually give up on them?
I am on my second day of taking them and am feeling jittery and tired but hoping that will settle down.

I would love to know others experiences of statins, yourself or anyone you know!
None at all. I was expecting muscle aches so was reluctant to start them but it has been fine.

Ayesha

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2023, 11:10:22 AM »

Talking to my siblings yesterday, and there are a lot of us, those on statins are all doing well, no problems.  I always thought I was adopted anyway!!  ;D
There is always the awkward one in the family and it appears to me, the statins have left me in a sorry state, day one of weaning off the 4 tablets I took  and waiting for my body to calm down and my blood pressure to ease.

I am going to try doing it the natural way, too frightened to try another. I would say to anyone else reading this thread, if you start to feel bad after just one statin tablet, stop taking them because your symptoms will only get worse. It seems that the people I have spoken to and read here, most are fine at the get go with no issues from taking statins.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 11:12:04 AM by Ayesha »

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2023, 11:41:34 AM »

"there are a lot of us" - thereby hangs a tale ?   ;)

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2023, 02:24:46 PM »

How R we all doing?

I have to return next week for further blood tests as kidney function level is low.   >:(. I also need to take a urine sample but didn't think to ask why  ::)

Then I see a Nurse in 2 weeks' time.  I need to make a list : I'm constantly tired by lunch time, I get bloated several times a week  :-X :( and have no genetic history of diabetes.  All 4 one tablet which may stave off a stroke. My cholesterol had been 7 for over 20 years: I'm not overweight we eat mainly freshly cooked meals - I do need to exercise more but due to feeling tired can't be bothered though from March I'm in the garden pottering or lugging watering cans as often as required.

Bugga ......... my GP was quite happy at 7, a new GP freaked out  :o ..........

Ayesha

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2023, 03:12:25 PM »

Well, my whole system has settled down from when I started this thread. My body seems to have got used to being on a low dose statin taken every other day. 

I haven't been back to the surgery for a check up because every time I do I seem to come away feeling more stressed and more ill because of my intolerance to medications and I feel that the way I am looking after myself by having a healthy lifestyle, without intervention from the medical profession, mentally and physically I feel so much better for it.

Anything untoward obviously I will seek help, but on my terms.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2023, 08:44:24 PM »

:thankyou:
Pages: 1 [2]