Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New & How To Handle Work!  (Read 1241 times)

JCH187

New & How To Handle Work!
« on: May 21, 2019, 12:46:00 PM »

I'm new here  :)

My GP gave me the website address and I've learned so much already!

I think I've been experiencing menopausal symptoms for a couple of years already but hadn't linked all these odd things that were happening together! After reaching complete exhaustion through lack of sleep I finally went to the doctors a couple of months ago (I've had the blood test and it showed my hormones are all over the place), after a lot of thinking and trying other options to sort my sleep out I started on Femoston 1/10 yesterday.

I wondered if anyone had any advice on work. This morning for example I'm exhausted I had no more than two hours sleep last night but I've come into the office. It would have been so much easier if I could have made the decision to work from home, it would have allowed extra time to sleep and not put myself at danger while driving tired. I work for an IT company, as a PA. We have a flexible working policy but I am office based. I have a laptop plus everything at home to allow working from there. I sent my boss an email asking that if until I can stabilise everything and am sleeping better I could be allowed to work at home if and when needed. We don't have a policy for this that I can find. Now I've sent it I'm worrying about it. Has anyone had experience with this? How have you handled it?

Any advice gratefully received  :)

Foxylady

Re: New & How To Handle Work!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 06:08:54 PM »

Welcome, I just joined yesterday! I totally sympathise with you, almost every day for the last 3 years I have been lying awake thinking I could so easily phone in sick having had little/no sleep and feeling thoroughly exhausted and as if I've lost the plot. My manager referred me to Occupational health who supported me in terms of a listening ear (which was greatly appreciated), I was given the option of reducing my hours but to be honest it would have increased my stress/anxiety levels as noone else to cover. Fan in the office which is almost constantly on, even in the winter! I am starting a 6 week (1 afternoon a week) woman's wellbeing group through work it gives advice from dieticians, excercise group and trials of different therapies, it was recommended by a colleague - looking forward to it. It would be worthwhile seeing if there is anything local to you for support. I hope you get a positive response from your boss.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:56:50 PM »

Hi JCH187

Sorry, can't help with the job issues, but thought I'd send you
best wishes with what you've asked for...🤞
Hopefully, you'll get what you need....
Good luck..
Jd xx

JCH187

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 12:39:44 PM »

It's looking like they're going to agree for me to work from home on the days I'm exhausted. My boss is a pretty reasonable guy and I think he knows I wouldn't ask unless I was desperate. Thanks for the good wishes.

Lanzalover

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 06:06:27 AM »

Good morning

That's really good news.
Better to have you working from home than off sick and doing nothing.
Sounds like you have a good boss.
Hope it all works out for both of you.

Lanzalover x

squeaker99

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 04:24:25 PM »

Hi. I would recommend trying to carry on as normal.
Working or staying at home is the worst as you have more time to mope and fret.
I find the internal chatter about my aches and pains is much reduced when I'm 'out'
I am running on zero sleep today. Not for want of trying. I try to remember that I did have
sleepless nights in my youth/collage years but never worried over them like I do now. I just
felt tired but got on with it.  The anxiety/over thinking of Meno is crippling for me couples
with the stresses of family life.